Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Sweetwater Zooplankton"

E

erik

Anybody else using this product? If you are not familiar with it-it is mostly Daphnia, but is kept refrigerated (not frozen or freeze dried). I originally bought it for some native fish that I keep in with my Siren, but I thought I would try it on some caudates.

Pleurodeles larvae: slight interest, but none even tried it.

Eurycea multiplicata larvae: once this stuff hit the water, they came 'running'. They snapped it up over the course of an hour or so. These must be the easiest small larvae to raise(thanks Nate).

I'm going to try the product on other caudates soon. The only problem I see with it is that some daphnia float, so you need to agitate the water a little to make them sink. I got this jar for 1.99 US,from drsfostersmith.com, but I think most other places sell it for 5-6.00 US.

Worth a try.

E

edward

Hi Erik,
I've used it with mixed results here. The main drwback I had was that the jars would spoil quickly once they were opened.
Ed

D

davidnash

Are they live daphnia? It sounds like this might be something good to keep around the house in case of a culture crashing or someone messes up a shipment of live food. Has anyone tried this stuff on baby axolotls?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1