Another tank cooling idea with questions

A

abrahm

I know this is a big issue for quite a few of us and I've been trying to wrap my brain around a method of cooling that will not only be consistent and easy but also relatively cheap.

My current modus operandi of using frozen water bottles and partial water changed with cooled water is effective but I'm not at home enough to keep temperature variation down.

I was curious if anyone had any experience with one of these air cooler devices? They're cheaper than tank chiller and portable AC units and are reported to use less energy. They retail for a little less than a hundred dollars and reportedly bring down air temps by 15F. With a small amount of piping one could easily direct air over an enclosure.

The product uses a regular US outlet which is a plus and also doesn't need any venting. All it appears to need is water and/or ice. I'm guessing the ice helps reach that reported 15F drop.

Is this a good idea? Or would constant air flow over the tank be detrimental? Putting a regular fan over my tank (a fully aquatic 10 US gallon setup) caused the water quality to deteriorate quickly resulting in many partial water changes.

Here are a few of the product names I was looking at as I don't know if commercial links are frowned upon or not.

Fujitronic FF-608 Portable Air Cooler with Ionizer
Portable SF-609 Air Cooler

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

I believe these are what we out West call "swamp coolers", which are basically evaporative coolers. Because they rely on evaporation, they are ineffective if your air humidity is high. Even in climates where they are "effective" I'd be very surprised if it could lower room temp by 15F, unless you really kept it stocked with a lot of ice. We tried one in our house (it was the type that used just water, no ice) and it had virtually no effect on overall room temp.

If your setup is fully aquatic, you might do just as well to set up a small computer fan over the tank, blowing directly onto the water. Folks have managed to bring down water temps several degrees this way.

I recently made a trip to walmart and found some of their personal fans on sale, $6 for a little 6 inch fan. I bought up a few of them, and dispursed them over my tanks. It drops the relative humidity, but it's been quite humid here lately anyway. But I've managed to bring my axolotl tank under 75F for the most part. And due to the wind, all of my Triturus have gone aquatic (this may be stressing them, so I moved the fan to one side of the tank and set it to low, giving them places to get out of the tank without the airflow).

Yes, I was indeed talking about "swamp coolers" and I'm sorry to hear that they are ineffective, though I had my doubts of something that cheap actually working well.

I've tried the fan thing and while it managed to bring the temp down by a few degrees it also seemed to blow particulates out of the air and into the water. That was a result that I wasn't appreciating.

Right now I'm working on a thermoelectric cooling system and if that works I'll be sure to post pictures and information. I have an engineer buddy to help me out with this too.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back