Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White Cloud Mountain minnows are good for your aquatic sal tank.

ryan

Reaction score
I have 2 white clouds in my tank and I think they are beneficial. I say this because I see them picking off little white worms, planeria, copepods, and even uneaten blackworms. Also if I see that they are acting odd then there is probably something wrong with the water and gives me a heads up.

So if you have siren, necturus, or axolotls I would recommend getting 2 or 3. Just make sure they arn't bothering the sal in any way then you should get rid of them. Oh and don't get startled if you wake up one morning and there is a few missing, because you know what that means
lick.gif

F

foster

Ryan,
It is good to hear that the white clouds in your Necturus enclosure are acting as good housekeepers. Even though mixing white clouds with sirens and axolotls sounds safe enough to me be careful however about giving recommendations on animals that you have no experience with. A lot of bad advice and false information has been spread this way, especially on the internet.
Chip

J

john

This doesn't go in this section. Please don't post another thread in this topic again - this is for official Caudata.org news and announcements.

Regarding keeping fish with any newt or salamander, you always run the risk of passing on parasites and bacteria that the newts/salamanders have never come into contact with.

J

jennifer

I moved this out of Caudata.org Announcements and into General Discussion.

White clouds are pretty harmless little fish. But like anything from a pet shop, they should be quarantined to prevent bringing in diseases.

ryan

Reaction score
Let me rephrase my sentence, So if you have mudpuppy I would recommend getting 2 or 3. Just make sure they arn't bothering the sal in any way then you should get rid of them. Oh and don't get startled if you wake up one morning and there is a few missing, because you know what that means. Lastly, quarantine them.
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1