Is this illegal?

M

marc

Quite recently near my house there has been a increase of the spotting of slow worms. Are these illegal to be kept in captivity in South Wales ?

I'd still not keep them, just leave them be in the wild.

ok i will do this, thanks
happy.gif

actually, i would say, it depends what you intend to do with them.
if all you want to do is keep it as a pet, then leave them be. however, if there is a pet market for slow worms in wales(im not sure, but i havent heard of many people breeding them) then i think it would be good if they are not protected that you collect a pair and then sell them. i am not sure whether many people want slow worms as pets, however, it is far better to have a breeder, coz that stops other taking wild animals, where maybe they are not as prolific as in your area.

There won't be a market for them as its not illegal to collect them but it is to sell them...

in that case i see no reason for taking wild animals and putting them into captivity.

Thanks for all you replies on this topic. i Greatly apprieciate what other people think on a matter such as this
smile.gif

if there are plenty of slow worms in the area i don't see any problem in taking a couple. They are easy to keep an feed and are not difficult to breed in captivity, although the young can be a bit tricky to feed as they need small slugs especially the white ones. Just so you know if you did breed them then it WOULD be illegal to sell the young, however if you bred from those young then their young would be legal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back