New guy

C

clint

hello all, i have a 55 gal. that is half full with water,the tank is set up in two parts.land and water the land is half way up the tank so that water is under the land part.there is a waterfall and a creek on the land that flows into the water. land is made of pea gravle and living ground moss (from my yard).would like to put something in this tank that woul love the set up. any sugestions.i realy like axies. i also have a 55 gal with 2 six month old red eared sliders,and a 35 that houses an african mud turtle.thanx for your time. clint

Are there already any animals in this particular tank? Axolotls are wonderful, but they do not seem like the ideal animal for this setup. They would never use the land area.

One important question is... what is the usual summertime temperature in this tank? This may also limit the kind of animal you put there.

there are about 12 guppies. the water temp stays at 72 F. ...my house stays at 72 F year round

Axies need cold water - preferably between 57F and 67F. My house is generally around 75F, and I find I have to toss frozen water bottles into my tank every so often to keep the temperature down.

Also - like Jen says, axies wouldn't really thrive in that set up, as they'd never leave the water.

Yeah, sounds good for some of the Triturus, particularly the more temp-tolerant ones, such as karelinii or cristatus. Might also be good for Taricha.

My only suggestion would be to try to get the tank temp somewhat lower during the winter months. This is good for newts' health, and may be necessary if you want them to breed.

doin some readin on the triturus spec. one thing i have not found yet is legality in the states, indiana, and how to come about them.

To get Triturus, you need to contact a breeder. They're perfectly legal in the states, I have some myself :D and absolutely adore them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back