Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Sals Behaviour

M

mark

I posted this last week in the specific species section, but I dont think it gets a lot of traffic there...

Has anyone owned both eastern and barred tigers? I know that now they are considered a different species. I have a pair of each, and they are extremely different in their habits.

The easterns are shy and stay under rock caves a lot of the time, or stay buried in the soil. They always show some interest if I wiggle a finger in front of them, and are quick to eat; worms, crickets, etc. However, they are slow and not all that active - basically what I expect from salamanders. They behave much the same as spotted salamanders that I had a few years back.

The barred tigers on the other hand were a big surprise to me. I have had them for a couple months now, and they are quite active. They will spot me from across the room, and will jump at anything they see, even if it is just me lifting the lid or spraying in some water. They also dont seem to mind being out in the open. I have these 2 in a 45-gallon tank with a lot of caves and other hiding spots, and a few inches of soil; but they are out and about a lot of the time, even if it the light is on. Ive never once seen them try to burrow, which is good for me; I get to see them more. When they spot food, they spring forward VERY quickly (unlike any salamanders I have ever seen), sometimes a few inches, and even hit their heads on the glass. (sometimes it is loud and I get worried about them; they dont seem to care).

My original plan was to combine all 4 into one tank, but the behaviour differences are fairly extreme, and disappointingly, I probably should keep them separate. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else could share info about their experiences with how their tiger species behave, or any related info. Thanks.

H

holly

I think combining them is the way to go. If you ask me it sounds like you have way to many tanks!

K

kaysie

Combining species is generally discouraged, due to behavioral and environmental differences. Even though these two species are closely related, their behavioral differences should be enough to convince you to keep them separate. And Holly, you can never have too many tanks.

M

mark

Actually, a few weeks back I did finally combine them to see how it would work out. Kaysie, I agree with your species mixing comments, but with tigrinim and mavortium, I dont think there would be a problem. (if it took until now to figure out that they are a different species, I think it is safe...)
Anyhow, here is the update on the situation:
All 4 are doing great in the one tank. I was really worried that the Easterns would be constantly burrowing or tearing up the plants, but suprisingly, they have been a lot more visible lately. They often stay under the caves I made, but rarely kick up any dirt, and one is even out frequently, sometimes even in the water area, and comes to the side of the tank when I come by, thinking there may be food involved. And this change of behavior is definitely no stress problem or anything like that, as they all eat well, and no one climbs the sides or shows any other bad signs...
The barred tigers seem to have calmed down a bit, and the 4 get along with no problem.
And as for food competition, which was one of my fears, there is no problem at all. All of them are eating well, and I have been decreasing cricket feeding somewhat, since I think worms are better for them (also occassional slugs, various bugs, etc.)
There have been no confrontations (accidental or otherwise) between the species, and they often hang out in the same caves together.

M

mark

FYI
I have posted some pictures of them and the tank in Photo Galleries: my tigers and their setup...

K

kaysie

Mark, that's a good point. I was just concerned about their behavioral differences. But since tigers dont breed in captivity, that's not a concern.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1