Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Im helping the great crested newt

A

alex

in a previous thread, before i know that it was illegal to own such an animal, i asked whether they make good pets. obviously the reply i got was NO.
after finding out just how threatened they are, i wanted to do more.
so now im involved in the aylesbury green spaces team helping to compile a list of pools harbouring great crested newts or ones that have the potential to be breeding sites. Each year, between February and June, small teams of volunteers go out at dusk to look for newts around ponds.
all i want to know is whether anything similar is being done elsewhere, and does anyone want to join me?

C

cameron

There are nature centers in the U.S. that travel to nearby ponds and record how many newts or salamander eggs (especially mole sals) there are in each pond in the area during spring. Sometimes a few larvae are taken to raise but they record an estimated population to an area. Then they determine how many there are in there entire range to guess about how many of them there are out in the wild. That would make the total population.

R

roy

In The Netherlands Great Crested newt is also a protected species and being monitored. People are trying to maintain and improve pools for this species.
This is coordinated by RAVON (http://www.ravon.nl/ only in Dutch)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1