Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperature issue

I

i.

Hi, as winter is started and I started heating the house, I wonder wich of 2 possibilities is best for my newts.
Because we heat unevenly (only in evening and at night) the tank temperature can vary from 60 to 68 in one day, wich is a good temp difference. I wonder if I should put a heater in to even the temperature out. I know colder is better but I wonder if an even 68 is better then a roller coster temperature.
Your opinion is appreciated

colin

Reaction score
...unless you have a room which you can turn the central heating off in? A spare room?

If you keep them cooler for the winter they may be encouraged to breed in Spring?

I

i.

No, and the tank is too big to be easily moved.
Last year they stayed where they are now and were fine but I wonder at what is best for their health.
I would like them to breed, but I have 2 females
lol.gif

A

alan

IMO, an even 68F *is* better then a roller coaster temperature, although if you're only talking about a few degrees variation between day and night, that's fine.

If you want them to breed, you could use a temporary (escape-proof!) plastic container placed in a cooler location with reduced illumination for 6-8 weeks. That should do the trick when you bring them back in.

I

i.

Maybe the best is to put the heater at 64-65 then, so there will be a slight 3-4 degree temp variation but not a big 8 degree change in a few hours. I'll go ahead and do that.

As for the breeding, that will have to wait until I get a male for them, but yes I could place them temporarily in the garage.

thanks guys

J

jennifer

I have no scientific basis for this, but I suspect that a daily variation of 8F (5C) is not worth worrying about. It seems like animals in the wild in shallow ponds would often have variations of that amount.

Another thing... most aquarium thermometers are not designed to heat in such a low range. Do some careful testing so you don't risk overheating them.

I

i.

so 8F difference is no cause for worry then?
I agree that shallow ponds must get the same kind of variation, probably more then 8F difference for those in the sun, but in the wild the animals can move out of the pond and under logs and stuff if they don't like it while their choices are more restrained in a tank.
I didn't check if heaters go to 65F, maybe not, you're right. I will investigate.
thx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1