Larvae feeding habits

J

jesper

Have anyone been able to get larvae to eat frozen-bloodworms(big larvae of course) or other non-living food? My larvae only go for moving prey, I was hoping that this instinct would disappear before they morph.

I should add that my larvae do go for bloodworms if you wiggle them in front of them....

I've managed to train most of my C. o larvae(quite large now) onto frozen bloodworms. They weren't fed for around 2-3 days and thus were quite hungry. I swirled some Hikari Bio pure bloodworms into the water and the larvae sniffed them out and ate them. I haven't been able to feed them individually as the larvae are scared off. The Hikari bloodworms look to be good for larvae as they are the right size(around the thickness of a blackworm and much shorter) as compared to SF Bay brand that I used. I will have to get some SF Bay brand bloodworms for the adult c. o as Hikari ones are a bit small for them.

Hope this clears it up. If anyone who tweezer feeds larvae has any pointers I'd be happy to see it and would take away the fears of overfeeding and foul water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back