Pachyhynobius shangchengensis , varioius Pachytritons

M

mark

I was surprised to see Pachyhynobius shangchengensis at the Michigan reptile show last week. I was not even familiar with this species. There were 3 or 4 of them and they were quite large, I would say at least 7 or 8 inches if I recall. I glanced through, and saw that there have been a couple other discussions on this species, just thought I'd mention I saw them. Are they becoming common in the States?

Also at the reptile show was a variety of Pachytritons. They had what I believe was brevipes (no species label, but that's what they looked like), but more interestingly, they had four of a HUGE pachy species. They were around 8 inches, but about twice the girth of normal pachy's (such as my labiatus). Their heads are huge. I suppose they represented species "D" from the new CC page. By the way, nice job on that Paris! (Paris -I have had P labiatus for 8 years, and I too wonder what their longevity is.)

well if you see them at shows-what are they going for and how do they look?-i mention in my one post to pick up some of the D's when you see them, i want more and can re-emberse. i wonder if the pachyhynobius are really that-one place was selling pachy 'b's' as them, or something like that. only pachyhynobius ive ever heard of for sale in the us were 150$ each! face it-alot of the suppliers dont even know what they have-and the customs guys dont have a clue either....

Paris -
After seeing the various pictures of Pachyhynobius, I am positive those are what they were - pretty much unmistakable. I looked at them for a while, I was quite amazed by their look. Yes, they do resemble pachy's somewhat, with the paddle-like tails, but I am sure. They were going for I believe $70 or $80. None of them sold while I was there and there were 3 I believe - that was last saturday. As for the Pachy "D's", can't quite remember, but I believe around $50 or $60. Again, I didn't see any of their newts selling while I was there. Most people were buying their dart frogs. I am going to write you a private message that tells the name of the place. I checked their website, but they don't mention the newts. I'm sure if you contact them, they would ship to you.

There were two pachy D at the Have de Grace show for $40 each.

Ed

Paris,
Did you get my email about this??
I am curious to see if you have looked into these rare pachyhynobius

no havent had the heart to yet-dont know if im getting Bday money and dont want to inquire about what i cant afford.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back