Incidental wildlife

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
While field herping for Cynops pyrrhogaster and Hynhobius lichenatus up in northern Japan recently, I and my Japanese companion were lucky enough to observe a Japanese black bear (Ursus thibetanus japonicus) emerge from a patch of forest and cross over the rice paddies:

17381.jpg

17382.jpg

We also happened across other evidence of bears, including tracks and a distinctive smell. Bears are fairly commonplace in the mountains, and human-bear encounters have been on the increase, what with diminishing habitats and all. Attacks are more likely when cubs are present. This last Sunday alone, four people were injured in separate bear attacks in two Japanese prefectures!

17383.jpg

The local herpetologist I was with on this trip carried a set of bells loop to alert bears to our presence -- though I suppose their sense of smell is even better than their sense of hearing.

17384.jpg

That reminds me -- while field herping for sals in the Monterey area a couple of months ago, there were paper signs posted all over warning of mountain lions. But I read today there have only been 15 mountain lion attacks on humans in California since 1890. I suppose it's more of a cause for concern for people walking their poodles than it is for herpers. All the same, don't forget your pepper spray
lol.gif

Lets see the bells pic didn't load at all, and the pics of the bear is all fuzzy, is it my comp?

I love it when you get "bonuses" like that while out and about.

LOL! Almost makes me wish I'd had a camera while out jogging and I ran in to a group of javalina.... 'cept I was to busy leaping in the air and making a mad dash the other direction! ROTFL! Javalina can be MEAN!

I hope its my comp or server screwing up, so I can come back later and have a look!

Sharon

the big thing with mountain lions is make yourself big and scary. You see one, start making low, loud growly noise, while flapping your jacket out like a frilled lizard.

From personal experience, trust me, it works.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back