Giant salamander festival

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
For all you armchair world travelers out there, there's a Hanzaki (giant salamander) Festival held every Aug. 8 at a Japanese hot spring resort called Yubara, located in Okayama Prefecture in western Japan, where giant sals are commonly found.
2647.gif

2648.jpg

2649.jpg

2650.jpg

Hey Tim-San,
this looks like fun. Did you take these pics yourself? So they are called Hanzaki, and Imori seems to be reserved for Cynops pyrrhogaster. What is the Japanese word for Hynobiid salamanders though?
What is the status of "Hanzaki" in Japanese mythology? I read once that in some regions of Japan these animals were used for human consumption (as food in fact), whereas in others they are regarded as "sacred".

Ralf (king of the a.w.ts.)

What a hoot! It's great that we have Tim to bring us the salamander "news coverage" from Japan!

Nice pics, Tim. Kind of ironic that they have the celebration for a cool water species at a hot spring resort.
lol.gif

Ralf, I believe that Imori is Japanese for newt. Perhaps hanzaki is salamander, or the common name for it over there.

~Aaron

I've been told the common name for Hynobius is Sansyou-Uo, I believe, which roughly translated means "loach of the mountain".

Hi! I should have clarified that those aren't my pics. I plucked them from Japanese-language travel sites without properly crediting them.
uhoh.gif

I've never been to this festival but would love to see it sometime, as well as to soak in the springs!
There's actually some interesting history behind it and the town's "hanzaki" shrine. I have a book that goes into quite some detail about it and will try to post that info later!

2657.jpg

"Hanzaki" is just one of several names that have been used in certain places and at certain times for the giant salamander, but it's not the commonly used one, which is "oo-sanshou-uo", "oo" meaning giant and "sanshou-uo" meaning salamander.

"Imori" is used for both Japanese Cynops species and for Echinotriton andersoni (as well as for foreign newts)

C.pyrrhogaster = akahara imori ("red-bellied newt")
C.ensicauda = shiriken imori (not sure what "shiriken" means)
E.andersoni = ibo imori ("warty newt")

Yes, Nate, "sanshou-uo" covers all the hynobiids, not only Hynobius but also sals of other genus in the Hynobiidae family that are found here like Onychodactylus japonicus and Salamandrella keyserlingii. It also applies to non-newt sals of any sort, anywhere.

"Sansyou-uo" is just another (and older) form of romanization. The pronunciation of "sho" (or "syo") is EXACTLY the same as the English word "show" but some people stick to "syo". Adding the "u" after "sho" just lengthens the vowel as in "shooow me the money!"
crazy.gif

As for the meaning of the word, now there's a topic unto itself! A book I have goes into excruciating detail about the evolution of this word but haven't gotten around to reading it carefully yet and would need some serious inspiration to wade through it!
lol.gif

I've never heard the "loach of the mountain" theory before! But I'll look into it.

The way it's written is this:

2658.jpg

The first of the 3 characters is indeed mountain, as you may have guessed, but the first 2 characters combined constitute the word "sanshou": Japanese pepper tree (Xanthoxylum piperitum), Japanese pepper, prickly ash.

2659.jpg

And then the last character is that for "fish"... so what we wind up with is "peppered fish"!

I've read that for hundreds of years, sals were pretty much regarded here as a kind of fish, while newts were lumped together with geckos (sort of like an aquatic gecko, I guess). Indeed, even today, I'd say 90% of Japanese confuse the two words "imori" (newt) and "yamori (gecko). I'm constantly having to explain the difference!

Anyway, here's some enlightening info taken from Sumio Okada's giant salamander site at:
http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~herpsgh/theandras.html

"The Japanese name of this species are "Osanshouuo", " Hanzaki", "Hajikamiio". These are named for their produce mucus from the skin that smell like a Japanese pepper (= sansho, hajikami). "Honzowamyo(918A.D.)" is the oldest book that involved a "Hajikamiio" story. Japanese giant salamanders were important a source of food for mountain people until several years ago. It is said that the taste is like a ray or a shark. Now this species is a Japanese special tresure and be prohibited even touch by law."

Before reading this, my guess had been that they're called "peppered fish" because some have the appearance of having been sprinkled with pepper! For example:

2660.jpg

2661.jpg

Ralf, I'll try to post some info someday on "hanzaki" in Japanese mythology. As for their use as food, well, I read some interesting info about how they were years ago imported in large numbers from China for use in restaurants, but no longer. I heard they're still served in Macao and probably elsewhere in China (regardless of their "protected" status there!)

Anyway, sorry for being so long-winded!

I hasten to add that Japanese characters originate from Chinese (though they've been modified over the centuries), so it would help to know what the Chinese call them! This is the word for "salamander" from a Chinese-language text.

2663.jpg

The first character is the same, and the left part of the last character includes the radical for "fish". Dunno the middle one. I'll get this cleared up soon or won't get any sleep! Anybody out there know Chinese?

Ok Tim, you're starting to scare me now.
lol.gif
Very throrough answer though, thanks for the clarification....

~Aaron

Well, Aaron, you know what they say about "idle hands". Slow day at the office yesterday...and equal amount of time to kill today
talker.gif

Here's some background regarding the Hanzaki shrine that I just came across:

"The giant salamander revered as a god in the 'Hanzaki' Shrine is rumored to have been a big, wild, hot-tempered one. According to "Chronicles of Sakuyo District," it devoured people one after another. After many people succumbed to the giant salamander, a brave warrior finally killed it. It was eventually set up as a deity so that its evil spirits might not cast a spell on people, and peace was restored to the village. The episode is described in detail in the Chronicles."

SOURCE: http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/i/media/sakana/index.htm

By the way, that middle character in the Chinese above is "valley" so sals are prob called something like "mountain valley fish"...

Hi all,
thank you for the input Aaron and Nate. And thank you for providing all the valuable information Tim. This is just as fascinating as the animals themselves and makes me regret not having any knowledge of Asian languages at all.
"Mountain Valley Fish" makes a lot of sense though, since this is where all the water from the slopes gathers and where you will also find the stagnant water bodies as well as the streams being the potential breeding sites respectively habitats of a lot of caudate species.
Just a side note on the many different meanings of "fish" (besides the scientific one). In the Middle Ages in Europe during Lent, when meat was forbidden by the church, people feasted also on swamp turtles (Emys orbicularis) and beavers, which were declared to be "fishes" by the church, because they live in the water.

Ralf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back