Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lumbricus terrestris

A

alan

On Saturday, Mike East recommended WormsDirect to me as a good source of Lumbricus terrestris for Salamandra:
http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk
Looks good to me. Two questions:
How do you store them, and how long do they keep?
Feel free to chime in here Mike, anyone?

mike

Reaction score
Hi Alan,
The lobworms supplied by this company are collected and imported from Canada, as they cannot be bred commercially.
Worms Direct then rests and feeds the worms, before dispatching to customers by overnight courier.
On arrival, worms in the medium container supplied are placed in the bottom of my sal fridge, at a maximum temperature of 5 degrees C.
I buy in bulk, (400 worms) and they remain in pristine condition for at least 6 weeks.

J

juraj

10l (35*25*12) container filled with forest top soil stored in the fridge at 6-9°C. This way is possible keep about 0.5 kg worms for months. Well tried, but it necessitates a tolerant fellow.
happy.gif

A

alan

I breed my own Dendrobaena, but I gather most Salamandra won't touch them, right?

morg

Reaction score
Alan
The Salamandra you have there should eat them as they ate them while here.
{dendrobaena veneta]

mike

Reaction score
Alan...If you offer juvenile Salamandra chopped Dendrobaena that have been rinsed thoroughly, they will soon accept their bitter taste, and consequently go on to feed on whole worms.
frog.gif

A

alan

They may be a little out of practice since they left Morg's tender care, so some re-education may be needed.
As you say, rinsing is important for Dendrobaenas to remove the excess yellow yeuk.

L

leighton

That's where we get our earthworms from. We keep them in a 45 litre kitchen bin in the garden shed, containing about 20 litres of (very much moistened) John Innes compost. They are transferred to this container on arrival. We feed the worms on moistened oatmeal every few days (about a palmful each time, and only re-feed when all the previous feed has gone). The compost is moistened regularly with tap water. I'm thinking about obtaining some calcium supplement to dust on to the oatmeal, in case we have a problem with calcium deficiency in our axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1