Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mixing

C

chris

I am building an outdoor enclosure for t. alpestris, 6'8" square. I was wondering if I could put another species from the same range in aswell. Please tell me if this is nor=t a good idea, or reccomend any good species (I was thinking montandoni)
Chris

F

fra

triturus vulgaris would be good.
i think montandoni would as well...

C

chris

Thanks for the info. I will probably get montandoni as I live in the UK and have vulgaris living in my garden anyway.
Chris

caleb

Reaction score
I'm not trying to put you off- but you should know that vulgaris and montandoni can hybridise, so you might want to take that into consideration.

C

craig

a good point is also that you should only mix with other triturus as the alpestris are extremley intolerant to other genus toxins !

A

ajfr0ggy

Out of curiosity, are there any species which you can mix with triturus vulgaris?
as ive got a few babies im rearing, in a 50 gallon aqarium outside (theres only about 10 of them, so the daphnia breed faster than them!)

AJfr0ggy

C

craig

if you stick to other similar size newts of the triturus kind you should have no problems but be carefull with their toxins!!!!! (and dont put timid species with aggressive ones obviously.)

A

a

Thanks, can you give me suggestions on the species frequently avaliable, without the risk of toxins or hybridisation (even if that isnt a word lol) , im in the UK

thanks
AJfr0ggy

C

chris

I'm in SE England. I've got hundreds (maybe slight exaggeration) of alpine newts morphing at the moment, and you're welcome to some if you could collect them.
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1