Pa. Fish and Boat Commission proposed regulations

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
Have any of you been following the Pa Fish and Boat Commission proposed regulations? My understanding is if you live in Pa. the most of each type of permitted Pa. native salamander you will be able to possess is 1.
I think laws and regulations are necessary but it seems like when new ones are created they are unnecesarily to restrictive.

This regulation is very similar to what it is in Ontario Canada. That is why I can't keep more than one Eastern Newt

Michael,

Where can we submit comments on the proposed regs? I would be happy to give them my 2 cents.

Most laws that restrict native herps are there to negate any need for management. Herps are not a money maker like large game species, so states find it cheaper to manage them by restricting them. They also like to arbitrarily list species as state endangered/threatened to coax money out of the state and federal budgets for so called research and management.

In Georgia, the number of native herps you can have in your possession is 0, unless you're using them for fishing bait.
So I'll just tell 'em I'm waiting for the season to open
wink.gif

As if they are even going to be able to "know" if anyone keeps more than one let alone even who the hobbyists are...I can picture it now; the fish commission in trucks scoping out neighborhoods with their electronic amphibian sniffers.

I'm in Pa. My father's best friend is with the fish commission and has been for over 30 years. He knows I keep native species and even how many I have. Knowing what I do know about him, I don't believe they will do a full fledge sweep and enforce it all the way otherwise I would've heard from him by now.

(Message edited by 2tanker on January 06, 2006)

Actually it's open season on caudates in GA, except for the state and federal E&T species. I confirmed this with GA DNR when I first moved here. The law says you can't keep game species, caudates are non-game.

The proposed Pa. rules are a threat to our hobby. I choose not to ignore them. If they pass I will follow them. I could see this coming and is part of the reason I keep mostly non U.S. native amphibians.

They will not institute a full fledged sweep as they would have to then get warrents to search etc, however, they do intend to enforce the regs whenever they run across an infraction. As the officer is a friend of your family, he may choose to look the other way, but I would not be willing to assume that would be the case with other officers or for other people.

There is going to be some form of regulation in PA, for some reason the latest items posted on the web for comment is the original proposal, the second generation was not placed up for comment for some reason.

Ed

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back