Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dividers

P

paul

I am wanting different types of salamanders and newts. When i get the 50 gallon sal tank set up i an thinking of getting 2 tank dividers( screens). so i can have C.O. in one section, slimy sals or eastern newts in another and tiger salamanders in another.Just one though. I'll also have a canister filter running on it so it will be clean. My plan is to maybee have land in back and water in the front. But for the tiger sal tank it'll be 100% land (moss) with a water bowl. So, is it ok to do that???

H

hayden

Neither easterns or Cynops will take to the fully aquatic very well...Soif it is all land...50/50...all water...what are you putting in the aquatic part...That all sounds too complicated i would just do it all one species...The easterns will find a way to climb the screen too.

P

peter

It'd also be a lot cheaper to simply buy 3 aquariums, the price increases dramatically with an increase in volume. A 20 gallon tank will set you back less than $20.

J

jennifer

I would also recommend a single tank for each species. Research the exact requirements for each one and set up a tank that meets the needs of that species.

You have experience with large fish tanks, right? The idea of a big "community" tank with various species simply DOES NOT WORK with amphibians.

P

paul

I can only have 2 tanks one for saltwater (75 gallon soon), and a salamander or newt tank. Im definantly not getting rid of my saltwater tank. Its too expensive and beautiful. So will glass work or not?

P

paul

I just got an idea, what if I get a glass tank divider and paint it, or burn it so it looks black, then put it in the tank. And have axolotls in one side and C.O. in the other side. The side with the axolots will have a hang on filter. It will have plastic plants,wood (boiled), and rock. The side with the Japanese firebellies will have a canister filter with allot of plants and slate piled up for the background. They will be 100% seperated, and they wont be able to see each other, sounds ok to me. What do you think?

P

paul

Well, i'll keep the tigers outside. In the tank i have my turtle in or i wont get them. Why isnt it a good idea?

K

kaysie

Mike, dont chastise him, he's not stupid, remember? Just because he's 12 doesnt mean he's stupid. He's a genius, propogating coral and all.

P

paul

MAN, I am not mixing them. There is a glass divider in the tank and you cant see through it. IS THAT NOT OK??? Or is it ok?

P

paul

Thanks Kaysie. Propogating coral isnt that hard. You half to get a piecs of live rock get the coral put it on. If its a hard coral, you take it out of the water ang glue it on the rock with super glue. Hold it there for 10 minunits. if its a soft coral you put it on the rock with a rubber band. Put them at the top onf the tank. If its polyps, you put a rock next to them, when some attach you pust the rock awal, then allot of them are there. Then you trade then in for store credit, the store owner will probably not give you money though. Just store credit.

H

hayden

Paul, dont use dividers at all...Whether they are glass see through screen w/e...do not mix.

K

kaysie

Paul, I was being heavily sarcastic. I'm sorry you didnt see that. Using glass dividers is still a bad idea. They've all got different temperature/lighting/environmental requirements, and putting them all in the same tank, divided or not, is a really bad idea. Numerous people have told you that. If you dont care, then go ahead, but if your animals die, dont expect any sympathy from me.

You should decide on one species and then make the best tank you can for that species. There's no point in getting two species and each of them suffering because you want something cool.

(Message edited by kaysie on July 28, 2004)

P

peter

Also, even with a good sealant and so forth, separating them like that just won't work. Bacteria will still get through, and infect your other animals.

If you can't have aquariums, can you have large rubbermaid containers? If properly set up, these can be just as good as a glass aquarium, and they're much cheaper.

P

paul

I have all the requirements. How will the bacteria get through? If i had 2 tanks that were in the same room will the bacteria get through then? I dont see how the bacteria could get through. Its allmost like 2 tanks. 2 tanks into 1. I know exactly what they need, it says all the care tips on the species listings.

K

kaysie

You know what, Paul? we've all voiced our opinion. You seem hellbent on doing what you want. Do it. Why did you even ask our opinions in the first place? If it works, fine; if it doesn't, don't you post on this board that your animals died.

P

paul

ok, i wont post it. Ill think about if i will or not. I have a year to think. Or untill christmas. Thanks for your comments though. I highly appriciate it though. You might not think so but i do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1