German words?

A

alan

I'm trying to assemble some information on my newly-acquired Melanophryniscus stelzneri. Babelfish can only take you so far, so I would appreciate the assistance of any German speakers as to the meaning of the following words:

nachzuchten
salientian
terrarienhaltung
kroetchen
filmdoe
heimchen
speisetisch
ungeheizte
vergitterte
quakvorgang
schallblase
laich
kaulquappen
quappen
bedaechtigen

Danke!

Here are some translations, some of these are guesses as their meaning depends on the overall meaning of the sentence:

Nachzuchten= “captive bred offspring“

salientian=sounds rather English to me, maybe something concerning „frogs“ in general (order Anura=Salientia)

Terrarienhaltung=“terrarium keeping“ or „the keeping of animals in terraria“

Kroetchen= "toadlet“

Filmdoe (probably Filmdose)=“film container“ (maybe one of those small cylindrical ones )

heimchen=“(house) cricket“

speisetisch=“dining (dinner) table“

ungeheizte= non, respectively not heated

vergitterte= “barred“ or „grilled“

Quakvorgang=“process of croaking (quacking)“ scientifically the „process of anuran vocalization“
biggrin.gif

Schallblase= “vocal sac“

Laich= “spawn“

Kaulquappen= “tadpoles“

Quappen=probably also "tadpoles"

bedaechtigen=“deliberately, slowly, staidly“ depending on the overall meaning of the sentence

Brennnesselpulver=dried and powdered stinging-nettle (Urtica spec.)

Not to my knowledge, Mike. It's used for a lot of different purposes in organic gardening. However, one can also use it for the feeding of collemboles or artemia, for instance.

My apologies Ralf.

I had a very sheltered childhood.
blush.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back