Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

'Salamanders of the old world'

M

mattias

Hello, I have a little question regarding the new and revised edition of Robert Thorn's classical book. I've seen that it is distributed through two different publishers, one in France and one in Germany. I am considering to purchase this fantastic book, but as I do not read French I think it would be just a little to costly. Do anyone know if there is an English version on the book? Some of the online catalogoues talkes about english/french as the languages of the book.
Confused

M

mattias

Thank you for the information, but I am still a bit pussled about this.
Below is how the books by Robert Thorn are presented at nhbs. The original version from 1968 and two editions from 1999 and 2001. Why is there a english title for the 1999 edition from Boubee in France?

Les Salamandres de l'Ancien Monde / The Salamanders from the Old World
Robert Thorn and Jean Raffaëli
Originally published in 1968 and titled Salamanders, this is a thoroughly up-to-date revision containing an accurate outline of all the species and subspecies of the old world. For each species, a map of its geographical distribution is included and several dozen colour plates complement this fine work.
Language: In English and French
448 pages, 16 col plates, 50 figs, 68 dist maps.
Boubee, France
Price GBP 47.00 = 680 kr - 1999 -
Order Code: #123582W Hardback

Les Salamandres d'Europe, d'Asie et d'Afrique du Nord
Description et moeurs de toutes les espèces et sous-espèces d'urodèles de la region paléarctique d'après l'état de 1967.
R Thorn
Still the only guide to salamanders available.
384 pages, b/w plates, illus maps.
Masson, France
Price GBP 67.00 = 965 kr- 1968 -
Order Code: #23507W Paperback

}
Les Salamandres de l'Ancien Monde
R Thorn and J Raffaelli
448 pages, col plates, b\w illus, maps.
Chimaira, Germany
Price GBP 73.00 - 2001 -
Order Code: #119835W Paperback

Mattias

E

erik

Hmmm. I have the 2001(Boubee) version and it is entirely in French. As far as I know all versions are entirely French.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1