Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where did he find so many?

N

nic

Anyone got any ideas on how this person found so many
tigers? Unbelievable and at the same time, very scary.
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=14&de=254133
23109.jpg

R

russ

Its rather easy if you now where to look. I know of ponds up in the Rockies of UT and CO where you can find hundreds of full term larvae and newly morphed juvies this time of year. The legality of it would depend on what state they where collected in. The ethics of it depends on your point of view, but they're definitely not rare in a lot of the west. Some states even treat them differently than other caudates because of their use as fish bait.

RUSS

L

leanne

Yep, go to any Nebraska bait shop and you can get one for 25 cents. (Or a dozen for $1.00!)

J

joseph

It looks like someone robbed a breeding pond of its adults. Very different from larvae as fishbait IMHO

L

leanne

Although some bait shops let them morph and sell the adults as well, unfortunately.....

dot

Reaction score
I pointed this out in chat -- some of those tigers aren't even finished morphing yet. (Along the top, second one from the left's head still looks sort of larval, or "waterdoggy" as Jen put it.) And if you look closely, some others still have nubby gill remnants.

Just an observation.

J

joseph

Yeah, but the sizes are also quite varied. Look at the vertical one near the bottom right.

K

kaysie

All of my karelinii were hatched from the same spawning, and there's dramatic size difference in them. I think its wrong to go out to a pond and harvest TONS of animals. Whether or not tigers are rare in the west, this kind of harvesting DEFINATELY has an impact on local populations, no matter what anyone says.

J

joseph

Well, that one I mentioned is 2x the size of almost all the rest. Tell me that isn't a breeder?

I'm pretty sure a tiger sallies lifecycle is pretty long and the populations probably can't take much adult collecting. They alrreadsy lose so many during migrations to the pond itself. However, I don't think removing a few eggs or larvae for personal use would do too much.

E

edward

Hi Joseph,
from the caudata culture sheet on tigrinum http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

This should help address your comment on the lifecycle length of tiger salamamnders.
snip " Depending on the reference, there are up to six morphological variations of tiger salamanders (Petranka, 1998). Depending upon the subspecies in question, there can be normal gilled adults, cannibalistic gilled adults, normal transformed adults, cannibalistic transformed adults, large transformed adults and small transformed adults. The cannibalistic morph is known to occur in four of the subspecies and is typified by a wider broader head, a larger overall skull, and an extra row of provomerine teeth. Additionally, the cannibalistic morphs tend to reach a larger adult size than noncannabalistic morphs. Some populations have both large and small morphs, depending upon whether the breeding occurs in seasonally ephemeral pools or larger bodies of water that are less seasonally affected. The small morphs occur in areas with the seasonally ephemeral pools, transform at a smaller size, and reach a smaller total adult size."

As you can see it is totally dependent upon the adaptation for the breeding site. These animals could have come from more than one breeding population.

snip "this kind of harvesting DEFINATELY has an impact on local populations, no matter what anyone says."

Kaysie, I cannot agree with this statement as it is (as far as I know) not supported by any evidence. As much as we as a group may not agree with commercial collecting of animals for sale, there needs to be more evidence to support that statement.
Wholesale collection of tiger salamanders for the bait market has continued for decades now and I have not seen any reports that link the collection of those numbers to populations declines.
I have seen reports about declines occuring due to habitat destruction but not due to collection. The range and number of localities colonized by some of the subspecies has actually increased due to transport and release of larva used as fish bait.

Some thoughts

Ed

E

edward

Another comment,
A lot of the guys who sell in the pet trade buy large larva from a bait dealer and let them morph (or buy morphing larva) and then sell them at an inflated price.

Ed

N

nic

Yes Ed, thanks for the bright light of wisdom, and
thank you all for your comments.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1