Funny Story

M

melissa

Recently I aquired a paddle tailed newt from the pet store. I did not have his 29 gallon tank cycled yet so I placed him in a very sterile and boring 5 gallon tank next to the 29 gallon. When I woke up the next morning, I could not find him.I was scared that I was going to find a dead newt on the floor. So, I franctically looked around the room. Finally, I looked up and found him in the 29 gallon tank hanging out in the water plants!In the middle of the night he must of climbed out of his tank and climbed into the 29 gallon tank. I do not know how he managed to do this. I guess I need to invest in some lids for my aquariums. Oh, by the way, we decided to name him Houdini.

That is weird though, the 29 gallon was just calling out to it. Newts can do some crazy things

Thanks for the article Ralf! Tomorrow, I will be looking for some lids for all my amphibians.

I lost my first two CO to a lack of lids. they climbed out and went down the furnace grating
sad.gif

I had a green tree frog that did this once. Escaped somehow someway from his hexagon and climbed into my 20G long terrarium.

very lucky he got in the tank
all my escapees have ended in death
mummified n.v.v. behind the tv
african dwarf clawed frog falling about 4 feet out of the tank onto the floor, badly bruised, and dehydrated it died soon after finding him

a very terrestrial c.orientalis would freak me out by buying itself in a potted plant. and my 4 a. opacum... doing a headcount involves digging at least one of them out of somewhere.may not see them but they're safe

Haha Houdini - i wonder why.

Tony B : why do they die outside of there water - like is it due to dehydration and all that?

yup all amphibian's need to be kept moist.in the wild they could walk about and pick up moisture from the ground and such but in a home things like rugs will quickly dry them out. i've read about people placing water dishes all over their house when an escape does happen and sometimes they got lucky and find them

i was about 12 when i lost 1 of my n.v.v. that i had for about 4 years. i temporarily moved them to a large bowl shaped, but flat sided aquarium to do some cleaning. the bowl was easily 2feet high and had maybe 5inches of water and i thought they wouldn't be able to scale the flat side so i left it uncovered.. wrong. it escaped, i found it mummified behind the tv cabinet fiddling with the supernintendo or something a week later

Actually this is not my first escapee. When I was little, I use to sleep walk. One night I had a dream that I let my tiger salamander go into the wild. The next day we realized that I really did let him go! We looked all over for him. My parents would not let me keep any more amphibians after that incident. Needless to say I've been scarred for life. So, now I am currently reliving my childhood collecting salamanders once again (without the sleep walking of course).

I've had a number of newts and frogs slip through tiny cracks over the years. I lost two firebelly toads last fall that snuck out the tiniest space between a screen. I'd never in a million years think they would or could have done it. Both went out the same night! Never did find where they ended up.

I've seen adult CO and juve P.Caudopunctatus scale the glass as well.

Keep the lids tight!

Its sad the thought that they try soo hard just to escape and die! I mean thats unfair. Do you ever think they dislike being an cages! My newt never seems to get off the roof of its tanks trying to be a future houdini xxx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back