Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What should I put in my 55 gallon tank???

andrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm half way done with my 55 gallon tank. Its got two land sections, will have a 2 inch or 3 inch deep, water section in between, and no background. I decided against this since the viv will not be against a wall and will be viewed from all around. I will be using a zoomed 501 external canister to keep the water healthy and moving, and turtle sand, very fine (the package says its good for amphibians too). The sand is the first layer of substrate all across the viv. I went with leca and some gravel rather than false bottom.

Anyway, I dont know what amphibian to get. I know I want an amphibian. I want something thats not a thumbnail, not ready for that yet. I want something that is preferably blue, orange, red, or if nothing else is available, yellow. I dont want dull colors. I want something that wont die if it gets above 75. Something that wont dig, though I will be putting in a large under ground cave. I dont have to get a dart frog, it could be any pretty amphibian that is hopefully not tooo difficult or expensive to find.

Thanks all.

J

jeff

Hmm... Maybe Fire-bellied toads? Orange Green and Black is an awesome combination, and I think they'd work fine for the set-up you've described. They're also quite hardy, can be found just about anywhere, and are quite affordable.

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on November 08, 2005)

andrew

Reaction score
That works great, except I already have two in one of my other vivs. Im looking for something else. Thanks though.

justin

Reaction score
If you wanted a dart frog, good beginner options are well started juveniles of: D. tinctorius, D. galactonotus, D. leucomelas, D. azureus, D. auratus, P. vittatus, E. tricolor, and P. terribilis to list a few. They all have morphs of colors you mentioned. Other species for consideration are fairly numerous, if you give us some more ideas of what you like more recommendations can follow. The depth of water (or lack) and the potential max temperature zone make me leery of other recommendations.
j

andrew

Reaction score
I dont know about the temps yet But i would guess around 70-75. I have to really study that first though. The water feature is about 12 or 13 inches wide, by 12" long, and 2 inches deep. Its got water trickling down from an over hanging branch.

More than one person has mention galacs. I will like to look into those, thanks.

justin

Reaction score
William, you are absolutely right, perhaps even a better option. If you have slopes in the land into the water, that is actually one of the landscaping strategies for breeding them (they lay large egg masses and the tadpoles wiggle into the water). There are several species bred by hobbyists, and getting a colony of juveniles would be an economical way to start. Also, the occassional lower temperatures and mild warmer temperatures would suit them very well. If you are on Dendroboard, you can contact some of the breeders there. I can't think of any on the East Coast, but with temperatures as they are now shipping isn't a problem.
j

justin

Reaction score
There are only a handful of species bred more regularly. Things like M. aurantiaca, M. expectata, M. betsilio, etc are usually bred. I don't pay much attention to classifieds any more, so I'm not sure. Just keep an eye out on Dendroboard and Kingsnake and you should be able to pick up a group. Again, I strongly recommend CB.
j

andrew

Reaction score
CB? Always, I know I dont want to deal with animals that may or may not acclimate. Thanks all. I'm thinking if I cant find a good Mantella, I'll go for a D. galactonotus

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1