Hand feeding tiger salamanders

R

reid

Is it possible to teach your tiger salamanders to hand feed. One of my older tiger salamander could eat out of my hand. How long does it take for them to learn this? How do you teach them? Whenever I try they just run away. I think its easier to hand feed them because I dont have to collect all those uneaten crickets which are very hard to get.

Try skewering them. The tiger doesn't get freaked out by some giant hand coming at them, and you don't have to catch crickets.

I agree with Joan, most sals are less afraid of food on a stick, versus your whole hand coming at them. You can use a broom straw, chopsticks, a long tongs, feeding forceps, whatever works most easily for you. Once they learn to feed from a stick regularly, then they may come to accept the food from your fingers.

Thanks, I still have my feeding forceps so I guess i'll use that. How long does it usually take for them to learn this?

I started feeding them with the forceps and now they eat out of my hand, but they were a little afraid at first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back