Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Opinions needed

M

meghan

I was in the mall today and hadn't been in the pet store for many years. Decided to go in against my better judgement. Curiosity called. They have 3 oregon newts. 2 are in great shape; fat and healthy looking. The other one is extremely skinny, every bone shows. No skin lesions or other obvious skin problems though.
After chewing on this issue all afternoon, I finally called and talked to the manager. Asked him if I bought that newt, would he give me a decent price cut on it. He agreed to and said he's had that one for over 3 months, it's a huge burden to him since he can't get it to fatten up or even die. He's been feeding it bloodworms and is most voracious at feeding.
My question: if it's survived this long under those conditions, would anyone else here pay $3 for this scrawny newt? My mothering/nurturing is coming through
biggrin.gif
I'm willing to take the time and money to do this. I'm probably crazy.

megan

Reaction score
As someone who has purchased injured fish and tried to nurse them back to health, I would say yes. You have already negotiated the lower price, $3.00 is not that much to spend, from this experience the pet store manager probably won't view newts as a very profitable commodity and won't order more in the future (one can hope), and ... you could just save this one. If it is still alive in this condition, then it must want very badly to live. Er, I hope I am not crazy myself.

S

shaun

I don't like to reward pet stores for treating animals poorly by "rescuing" them, but I'd take a taricha granulosa with no signs of disease or infection in a second! If the newt is otherwise healthy and willing to eat just pick up a few dollars worth of waxworms and help him/her fatten up!

F

francesco

I personally wouldn't buy an ill newt not even for free cos he might spread the disease to my other amphibians. Better to spend a bit more and get a healthy plump one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!