Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Actuall cost of breeding

J

jeff

I wasn't sure where to post this, beacuse its not specifically about breeding, but the logisticts of it. I really feel bad about all the perfectly healthy and happy newts that get just pawned off for 6.99 and die a few months later, due to some easily avoidable danger, like the absurd advise I got one time from a petstore, who advised me to put a 25 watt indecesnt bulb over my newts. I would have cooked them overnight!
Anyway I have considered this summer while on break to set up a breeding center on my grandmothers old farm out in the country. I suppose I would need lots of help to get tiracha males/females/juvs ect. Also I suppose I would need more then a few tanks, and probably big ones if I wanted them to grow at any rate. SO other than filters and tanks, (and space/heat) control, what else am I going to require to actually do this(aside from the breeding methods of course, which I have been reading up on)?

So if I could please get failed or successful experianced help, or any help at all please tell me what you guys can. thanks so much

P.s. Feeding my guys with tweezers was a really good idea, it takes the guesswork out of all the diet/nuitrional stuff!!

R

russ

If you're considering T.granulosa, no can do. Last I heard Washington protects all their amphibians.

RUSS

J

jennifer

I would say that the main thing you are going to need is TIME. Not just the time you will have to put into setting up and maintaining the animals, but also the years of time it will take until you acquire breeding groups and get them breeding.

There are sources of Taricha, even if you cannot collect them locally. They still show up in the pet trade occasionally. But you need to check if it would be illegal for you to sell captive bred ones. If they are protected, it might be. Are there any other species you are interested in?

I'm glad to hear you are thinking about this. Good luck!!!

W

william

Jeff I would check out some websites to see if they are protected. I'm pretty sure that they are though. Like Russ said I think all amphibians are protected too.
(Message edited by wishz1 on January 02, 2005)

(Message edited by wishz1 on January 02, 2005)

J

jeff

This sucks, I rescued my granuloso from some kids in seattle, and they had 2! I don't want to breed mine, he was exposed to chorinated water before I took him in, so I don't know what will happen if he breeds, which he tries to with my finger. This is really sad, I hope he is not native, and from California. If so, I suppose could get some from there, any ideas? What websites other then this should I check/trust?
What species would you guys reccomend for my area, besides the fire bellies?

B

benjamin

Being exposed to chlorinated water shouldn't have any effect on his breeding at all.

J

jeff

Even if it was prolonged, I don't have any clue as to what actuall levels were before I found him, but I used to work in a hot tub/pool store and I know from experiance that chlorine and bromine levels of even 5-7 ppm as quicky "used up", even in a few hours if the water is slightly dirty and really zapped off by uv lights. So in reality I suppose he wasn't really "overexposed". allthough the dude at petsmart(not an expert by any means) said that if the female was exposed to chorine, then the reporductive system would be effective. But she died a while back, it was quite sad but at least he is happy and healthy again. I wish I had some females, he is trying to breed with my finger at every opportunity. Thanks for all the help.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/985/28733.html?1104816039
picture of him taken tonight

J

jennifer

You are right, chlorine goes away fast, unless the local waterworks uses chloramine. Also, there is some debate as to whether chlorine is or isn't very toxic to newts. The guy at Petsmart was being pretty creative (or taking information he knew about another kind of animal perhaps).

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If you are planning to breed for fun it is easy. If you expect to make money from breeding it is difficult. The first thing you need to learn is don't believe what the guy in the pet store says.

W

william

Yea Russ thats what I ment and Jeff I looked all over the internet and I couldn't find any thing that they are protected. If he is from California they are i know for a fact protected. So it would be even harder to get him a mate if he is. Waht you could do is look on line for some one selling them or collect some eggs from a local pond, but i don't know if the latter is legal. If you really need some I might be able to give you some during the spring when I get a few from a friend of mine.

J

jeff

Its tough, beacuse I suppose I need 2 of the exact species to breed, putting random females in there might lead to strange results.. however, If anyone has Taricha sp. that they are willing to part with I would not only pay to get them, but I also spend so much time taking care of them that assure you they will be on permenant vacation. Can T.granulosa still be purchased in oregon? Anyone from oregon here?
Anyway I wouldn't really be breeding for money, allthough that would be a fun career..

I just want to increase knowladgeand awareness, for protection purposes. I am informed that where I live now there were newts all over, and like alot of places, now I never see one.

W

william

I have seen them for sale in some pet stores here, but not lately though.

J

jeff

maybe we will in a few months, after they come out in spring, allthough I would much rather see them year around, meaning captive breed and not collected...

W

william

So would I, but I think that all/most that you will see for sale will be wild caught.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1