Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wild sal traps?

B

brendan

i was talking to my bio teacher, and he said he did some research for the state of ct regarding amphibians. he said he used a trap that includes a buried bucket with a sponge in it, and a fence that they cant pass through leading to it. he says that the salamanders will try to go around the fence, and in doing so, they will fall into one of these buckets, and the sponge will keep them moist. now i know where he did it, and i know he definetly had permission to do this, but i was wondering if this would be a legal method of collecting salamanders in ct? ive read books about amphibians in ct, and looked at the local laws, and the only method that is prohibited is seining. for others it says that collection is limited to hands and hand-held implements, and for others, nothing is listed at all. nothing i have read says anything about this method. also, the bag limits, i know that most you can only take three per day/season, and it sets the open season, from May 1st to August 31st, and if im correct, that is now. if anyone knows anything about this method; what it's called, how legal is it, personal experiences, and whatever else, it would be appreciated. thanks.

-brendan

P

paris

the method is called a 'pit fall trap'-it is not considered a hand held method-so it wouldnt meet the legalities there. the technique is hit or miss and you could catch anything in there (its used for shrews too). there are a few moral issues associated with these traps -first they must be checked AT LEAST daily-and before the heat of the day if there is any chance of them drying out. the second issue is that any thing could fall into that trap-before or after the salamander- this creates a stressful environment in which a potential preditor and prey or agressive species and shy species of animal could interact. if not checked once a sal has fallen in it could be vulnerable to all sorts of unnatural dangers. best method i find is either road hunting on wet nights or just plain old footwork looking under stuff.(or jumping the gun and collecting eggs/larvae)

al

Reaction score
Hey brandon,
If you really like caudates and you have some limitations with keeping them right now, consider getting a good camera and keep detailed species accounts and records. I know many caudate enthusiest that do this and get the awe of caudates, but not the responsibility to care for them. This also gets you into the thick of it, since you really need to do as much research as a collector. You could follow different species breeding habits and ponds and follow them through the life cycle.
I know some enthusiest that collect a couple of larva and rear them to metamorphosis, then donate them to a school or museum. You could also do this as an educational project.
There are many ways to spark your interest in this hobby. I know another friend that loves to rear larva, but decided not to add anything else to his herpetology collection, so he will rear some eggs for other keepers and give them back the metamorphes (kinda like a daycare). I respect hobiests that have the moral fiber and willpower to say "no" to keeping caudates as pets, while still staying enthusiastic with the hobby. It's much more difficult and can be just as rewarding.

B

brendan

okay, with the wanting more, i wanted something bigger. not a juvy or a small little thing. i want something about the size of my fire salamander (not to keep in the same tank), because the food is easier to find and keep an eye on. i dont like having to find itty bitty pill bugs or chop worms until they are the size of you pinky fingernail. and with the others- it may have been the temp. i had been regulating the temperature in their tanks by putting ice packs on the lid, but i got AC last night. my fire salamander seem alot happier, and the spotted is more active (im setting him free this weekend - i wont be able to return him to his home until this weekend, the dusky is already free). i wanted to try something new, but it didnt work. i guess i should just stick to what i know. i think im going to get a lady for my fire salamander - i know how to feed those. ill work on the breeding if i decide to let it happen. i want to, but i dont know if im ready. that kaysie is really ticking me off calling me a bat pet owner just because i couldnt take care of a new salamander. you know what? people make mistakes, and the best way to learn is to learn from your mistakes. at least i was man enough to ask for help here, then decide to let them go. if i was really a bad pet owner, i would have kept them, and waited until they die, and then ask questions here. that is all.

-brendan

K

kaysie

I called you a bad pet owner because you left your pet in the care of someone else and never went back to even check on it. You said yourself that you don't even know if it is alive. That's not a sign of good pet-keeping. Taking on pets that you catn take care of is also not responsible. But I would appreciate it if you did not accuse me of saying things that I never said.

B

brendan

once again, with the iguana. we had no choice but to get rid of him. i was not the one that gave him to a pet store, that was my grandma. i was about 10, or maybe even younger, at the time, so i cant remember the accounts perfectly. he wasnt my pet (and anyways, do you really think a 10 year old is responsible enough to care for a 7-foot long reptile?). he was a family pet, like a dog or a cat - that's how he behaved anyways, he just roamed around the house, and when he was hungry or thirsty, he went to his water or food dish, we took him out for walks every now and then - leash and all. if i remember correctly, we may have even had him trained to go to the bathroom in a certain place, so as not to stain the floor. when we moved, we moved to a development. the rule here was no pets. so, we had to get rid of him. we had no friends of the family that could have taken care of him, so we gave him to a pet store with instructions not to be sold. i dont remember the name of the petstore, because it was a long time ago, and i cant ask my grandma where he is, beacause she died. and yes, i dont know if it is alive, because i cant go to the petstore and see him, because i dont know what petstore he is in. and if not knowing where he is or if he is alive 5 years later makes me a bad pet owner, then so be it - i am a bad pet owner.

-brendan

PS- what did i accuse you of saying that you never said?

J

jesse

hey i feel you brandon. I know were you are coming from. shame on you kayse
nono.gif

J

jesse

yes shame on you. And dont you roll youre eyes at me young lady!
nono.gif

J

jesse

well i thought you were the same age as me, plus my mom doesnt live with me. so what are you gonna do lassie, eh? you gonna spank me or somethin? ha!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1