Sad Paddletail story

D

deborah

We buy frozen bloodworms and (sometimes) crickets from our local Pet Smart store, as well as food for our cats. The clerks there all know we raise newts. A couple weeks back, one of the clerks informed me they were ordering some newts and wanted to know what advise I might have...

I asked what breed they were getting and she said Paddletails. I told her absolutely under no circumstances should they be housed with any other species, and the newts should even be isolated from each other. She was stunned to learn how aggressive they can be and didn't think her manager would listen to her.

Sure enough, today I stopped by the store and the clerk sadly told me that all their Paddletails had died. I asked how it happened and she told me they all attacked each other, tore off each others legs, etc. They also managed to escape from one of the tanks at one point... She said she had tried to tell her manager to keep them isolated and he refused to listen.

Why these stores don't do the minimum amount of research into newts before they buy them is beyond me. They seem to understand which fish are aggressive and they are isolated. IE, Betas... But they never seem to have even the foggiest ideas about how to raise newts.

The clerk even asked me, "should their water be kept warm?" I told her NO it should be kept 60 - 65 degrees (F) at the warmest and explained that most newts come from temperate, not tropical, climates and require a cooler habitat...

She really seemed interested in learning, but unfortunately no one cared what she had learned and the newts died as a result.

very sad...

sounds pretty standard for large chain petstores. I worked at a petsmart for 2 summers before i couldn't take it anymore.

Unfortunalet it seems to be true at some of the smaller pet stores too.

I tried talking with a local "mom-&-pop" petstore about the paddletails they were housing along with Chinese fire-bellies and they just nodded their heads patronizingly and wouldn't do a damn thing.

What is it about folks who work at or own pet stores who seem to think they are instant experts? They (mostly) seem to have no interest in learning at all and assume they already know everything they need to know.

Sad because the animals suffer needlessly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back