Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GBR Press: Newt welfare high on London 2012 priority list

W

wes

<u>GUARDIAN </u>(London, UK) 18 April 07 Newt welfare high on London 2012 priority list (Martyn Herman)
London, (Reuters): Painstaking measures to protect rare wildlife during construction of London's 2012 Olympic Games park will be particularly pleasing to the city's nature-loving Mayor Ken Livingstone.
The outspoken Livingstone is known for his fascination with newts and the welfare of the amphibians will form part of an ecology plan announced by the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) on Wednesday.
The 2.5 square kilometre site in east London is largely neglected with many derelict buildings, overgrown ponds and contaminated soil, although it also forms vital habitats for a variety of fish, birds, bats, newts and insects.
Work started on Wednesday to capture fish from one river on the site of the Olympic Stadium, while other projects include surveying and relocating newts and reptiles.
"We are creating the largest new urban park for 150 years, restoring ponds and waterways and creating new wetland habitats," ODA chief executive David Higgins said.
"As we do this we must protect the wildlife and biodiversity of the site. The work over the next few weeks will be carried out sensitively and under expert supervision."
Newts are protected by law in Great Britain.
Relocation plans are also being put in place for the black redstart, a small bird which thrives in rotting buildings, the toadflax brocade moth and a species of solitary bee thought to inhabit the area just east of the City.

-6567579%2C00.html,http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6567579,00.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1