Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chioglossa lusitanica

C

chris

Does anyone have information and/or pictures of wild or captive habitats of this species?
Chris

P

paris

nate would be one to contact on those-not sure if hes got photos, but he has had them before

R

rubén

I have pics of Chioglossa's habitat, but not of the animals

C

chris

I have the opportunity to get a few animals, and am in the throes of deciding whether to get some or not - captive conditions required would be one of the important issues.
I would be interested in seeing the habitat anyway.
Chris

B

bernardino

Hello!
I've got some chioglossa pictures, info and pictures of the habitat of this incredible salamandrid (where i live is not very difficult to find them).
But in Spain is totally illegal to capture and maintain this animal in captivity, and as long as I know, in Portugal is the same situation, so I doubt that you can get any legal Chioglossa lusitanica.
Best regards
dino

C

chris

Thats interesting, bernardino - I will have to look into that.
Still, would anyone mind posting the pics just to satisfy my curiosity?
happy.gif

Chris

S

sergé

They are strictly protected by European laws, and although the English authorities seem to think they don't belong to the European Union the contrary is true. Only captive bred specimens are allowed, but then the breeders must give you the papers of how he got his animals.

As far as I know (and my literature is pretty up to date), nobody has bred them in captivity. So...what is offered to you is very lickley to be illegally caught....

The habitat is very identical to Salamandra or Salamandrina habitats. Very small slowrunning streams, in moist woodland area's.

greetings, Sergé

R

rubén

Yes, I agree with Sergé and Bernardino

Personally, I doubt about the possibility of finding C.B. Chioglossa lusitanica or keep it as "legal salamanders", because it was one of the first protected caudates in Spain and Portugal.

Anyway here you have two examples of biotopes

35070.jpg

35071.jpg

J

jennifer

I would love to see any photos of Chioglossa. Caudata Culture has only one photo, and it would be nice to have a few more. If any of you could post them here, or e-mail me privately, I'd much appreciate it!

C

chris

Thanks for the information on the legislation - I will certainly check the legality before (if) I make any purchase.
Thanks
Chris

A

adam

Forgive me for my ignorance but many years ago in a galaxy far far away a chap called Mike Linley wrote a paper titled, "Keeping amphibians in captivity" it was published in A BHS captive breeding symposium i think. In that article, there was a little info on how this fellow bred his chioglossa and his euproctus, proving that they have been bred in captivity. I have heard of others breeding them, but have no details or hard evidence. Cheers, adamanuran

S

sergé

Dear Adam,

not to be rude but I don't think his breeding expericences are very reliable. Especially as he has been the only one so far...and there are no hard details about the breeding, so...I really doubt if it is true that he has bred them.

Sergé

pollywog

Reaction score
Mike Linley (producer of many wildlife documentaries including Survival) was arrested for trying to smuggle more than 200 live reptiles and amphibians out of Australia!
I agree with Serge, his claims are not reliable.

A

adam

Yes it does ring a bell that he was arrested for smuggling, i totally see your point. I have never kept them so am the wrong person to speak to but i think if you are in touch with Mr Pat Wisniewski he may be of great help. If somebody has creatures he is likely to know about it. Also he does a lot of breeding for conservation and reintroduction programmes, including Alytes muletensis and various inverts etc. Just a thought,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1