Help with ID

Looks like a Paddletail Newt (Pachytriton labiatus) to me.

hi Thomas. Yes that's a paddletail. You can sex them by the fact that adult males have iridescent blue spots on their tails.
Is that a tropical aquarium it's in? If it is, that's all wrong - paddletails like cold, fastflowing water with many rocky hiding places. If they are kept too warm for too long, they will become stressed and eventually die. Also, they will eat your fish. If they try to eat something spikey(ie cory) both the newt and the fish will die.
Sorry for the lecture, but you don't want the newt to die, do you?
If the newt is a female, do you want to buy a male from me? I am in S. England.
chris(froggy)

Yikes, I think it must be a female as I can't see any blue spots on its tail.

It is in a tropical community setup, as it was in the lfs, so far everything seems ok, (s)he never bothers the other fish, even my amano shrimps ride its back for a free ride. Although I do feed it River shrimps from time to time, but its favourite food is live or frozen bloodworm which it takes from my hands.

I've had it for about 6-7 months so far, other than the possible problem with the temperature do I need to provide dry spots for it?

Thanks

The increase in temperature over long periods of time will harm your newt,most if not all need cold temps not tropical.Some areas of land would be ideal so you at least give your newt an area of dry land should it want it.Its also not a good idea to house it with fish as all amphibians have some kind of toxin in their skin.

Thomas, 6-7 months is a short time in the life of a newt. If all goes well, they can live for 20 years or more in captivity. Sooner or later it will eat your fish, or it will be adversely affected by the warm temperature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back