Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquatic Plethodontid found in Oaxaca Mexico

E

edward

The sad thing is that its already extinct. Pseudoeurycea aquatica was the only aquatic bolitoglossine salamander discovered to date. All other bolitoglossine salamanders are terrestrial with direct developement of eggs. P. aquatica is a member of the P. gadovii group and is apparently closely related to P. smithi. The salamander was collected in a stream and only three specimens were ever collected. When the collecting team returned one year later to look for more specimens the site had been clear cut and the stream was choked with burned logs and ashes destroying all of the habitat. They returned again four years and then again five years later and the habitat was still badly degraded and no specimens were located.
Wake, David B., Campbell, Johnathen, An aquatic plethodontid salamander from Oaxaca, Mexico, Herpetologica 57(4): 509-514

Ed

N

nate

Ed, was there any evidence to suggest larvae? I thought that species was indeed aquatic, but thought to still have direct development of eggs.

E

edward

Hi Nate,
There wasn't anything mentioned in the article other than the fact that all Bolitoglossids that have known reproductive habits have direct developement. There were no larva observed while collecting the original specimens despite the fact that some other specimens were seen but they escaped. There was some speculation on this in the articel as all other aquatic plethodontids have a larval stage and do not have direct developement. I guess this will be unanswered unless some more of these guys are found somewhere nearby.
Ed

N

nate

That's interesting. I'd bet it was more a case along the lines of P. vandykei and idahoensis, both of which can be found in a few mm of water in seepages and stream banks and often take to the water when disturbed.

E

edward

Hi Nate,
I'm not sure about that as the observations could have gone either way. In the article all animals observed were already in the water foraging (they went out with flashlights) at night. They did not locate any of the P. aquatica out of the water and collected several other species below and above that site (including a Thorius sp). I don't have the article in front of me and can let you know about the other species located nearby. They did observe more P. aquatica than they were able to capture as the salamanders would immediately retreat to large boulders under the water falls. While they may be residing in seepage areas (like the water falls) and foraging in the deeper waters at night they could just as easily be fully aquatic with a direct developement. There simply isn't enough information to make a guess.
Ed

K

keegan

*sigh*

I would love to visit Oaxaca again... I was there for a semester a few years ago studying Anthropology - would love to go back to study amphibians instead...

Such a beautiful state - here's hoping they may discover more surviving species.

PS: Ed, you mentioned that specimens were colected... were they killed for research purposes, or might there be some captive breeding?

E

edward

Hi Keegan,
There were preserved as holotype specimens. Thats why I was saying they were extinct.
Ed

M

mrkeeg

Hi Ed,
Interesting... as a 4th year biology student I understand the reasons for taking specimens like this, but I wonder if a case like this might question the validity of it. That is, the taking of a number of animals from a small population in a small and delicate ecosysetem - possibly (reaching a bit) contributing to thier extinction.

Of course, if the team had arrived one year later (after the clearcut), perhaps this species would never be known to science at all...

K

keegan

oops... is my caudata membership working... I think my name should come up as Keegan.... sorry...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!