CA Press:

W

wes

<u>THE ACORN</u> (Agoura Hills, California) 25 January 07 Calabasas newt visitors take up unexpected residence - Family's swimming pool becomes a temporary haven (Marion Smith, Calabasas)
<font color="ffff00">Photo at URL below</font>}: Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? Mama Newt took to the water in Marion Smith's Calabasas Highlands pool, finding it just right for her numerous babies. Before the Smith family had a chance to relocate them, Mama Newt had taken her merry band of babies elsewhere.
We have a small shallow swimming pool in the yard of our Calabasas Highlands home, only 3 feet to 5 feet deep, with an in-ground Jacuzzi attached. We designed it so we would use the very minimum amount of scarce resources (water, gas and electricity as well as nasty chemicals animals do not like), and we could also surround it with plants. It looks almost like a pond.
This year in May we were looking to see what critters had fallen into the pool, and there at the bottom was a large newt. We peered more intently and could see baby newts also. We carefully looked around--more babies were on the concrete. We used our swimming pool net and very gently touched our visitors. They were very much alive.
We took out the adult and some of the babies and put them next to the babies already on the concrete. We had no idea if the critters would survive in a pool that had chemicals. Well, the next day they were back in the pool. They liked the environment.
We phoned our swimming pool man to tell him a lady newt had taken up residence in the pool and was raising her children. However, on the third day we checked on our lodgers and they were all gone. Fortunately, we had taken photos of them.
We were delighted to host the family and will keep a lookout next May to see if they return.
http://www.theacorn.com/news/2007/0125/pets/057.html

What a neat story. You would think "Mama Newt" would not like the chemicals in the pool let alone have babies in it. It would be interesting to hear if the "Mama Newt" comes back in May. Great story Wes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back