Giant Palm Salamander info wanted

B

billie

I am looking for care info on the Giant Palm salamander. I keep seeing ads for them on kingsnake and other classifieds, but I can not find any captive care or even wild information on them. Anyone know about these 'phibs?? Or at least a good website/book on them?

thanks in advance

harpy

success in keeping them is limited to only a few people around the word-one of which is a zoo, they are not kept in captivity by hobbiests because they are not interesting but because the survival rate of import specimens is extremely low after a few months......

At least some of the imports over the last several years have been shown to have chytrid. The chytrid in at least one zoo accounted for 100% mortality of the salamanders post importation. (and if not treated can pose a threat to a person or institutions' entire collection) In addition, this species is typically imported with little to no fat reserves so the first couple of good meals causes refeeding syndrome and they can die.
If you search the archives you will see that this species has been discussed on here a couple of times.
Typically though, within 6 months of importation, they drop thier tails and die within a couple of days.
Once you scan through the archives if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back