TX Press: Zoo hopes for the best with mucus-covered salamanders

W

wes

<u>EXPRESS-NEWS</u> (San Antonio, Texas) 24 November 06 Zoo hopes for the best with mucus-covered salamanders (Lisa Marie Gómez)
Many of the exhibits at the San Antonio Zoo are filled with cute, furry animals that make visitors smile and sometimes want to take them home.
The Japanese giant salamander, however, isn't one of them.
In fact, with a body covered in mucus, it's downright gross.
At least that's what 8-year-old Brittanie Cruz thinks.
"Oooh, it's slimy and ugly," she said, giggling Monday as she peered through the glass of the zoo's newest exhibit, which opened about three weeks ago.
Zoo curators are hoping to do more than just showcase their salamanders, which are listed as near threatened on the World Conservation Union's endangered species list. The curators are hoping their salamanders will breed now that they're living in an environment that more closely resembles their natural habitat.
But that's a tall order for cupid, given that none of the five zoos in North America that have Japanese giant salamanders have ever been successful in breeding them, according to zoo officials.
"The only successful zoo in the world where they have been bred was at the Asa Zoological Park in Hiroshima," Japan, said Sal Scibetta, a reptile and amphibian zookeeper at the San Antonio Zoo.
That's because the salamanders there swim through a natural cold mountain stream that happens to flow through the zoo, where they live and breed in the wild.
The river that flows through San Antonio's zoo doesn't come close to resembling the one in Japan, so the same exhibit couldn't be duplicated here.
The salamanders, which can weigh up to 55 pounds and measure 5 feet, made the list of animals needing protection because they have been hunted for food and are losing their natural habitat due to deforestation.
The salamanders at the San Antonio Zoo, with their wrinkled pink, brown and black lizard-like bodies, now swim in an exhibit filled with river rocks and breeding caves with water that is kept at 61 degrees.
"One of the biggest problems we have in trying to breed them is that we don't know what their environmental cues are," Scibetta said.
In late August and into the fall, female salamanders typically lay from 400 to 500 eggs, which may be fertilized by several males who then protect the nest site until the offspring hatch in the early spring.
In the new salamander exhibit, which has two females and two males, zookeepers built two makeshift nesting sites in hopes that the females would lay eggs. So far, it hasn't happened.
"It's only been a few weeks — we need to give them time to adjust to their new environment and hopefully they'll get comfortable enough to breed," Scibetta said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/salife/pets/stories/MYSA112506.01B.Salamander_Exhibit.30e0b07.html

Very cool. thanks for posting that, Wes
biggrin.gif

I've seen pictures of the breeding facilities at Asa but hadn't heard of a "natural cold mountain stream that happens to flow through the zoo." Will look into it...

(Message edited by TJ on December 15, 2006)

Hey thats my town! Man I gotta make my way to the zoo. Its a long time coming. I just met a girl that use to work there, maybe she can get me backstage! :D

Interesting article, but he first zoo that bred Japanese giant salamanders was actually the zoo in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, in 1903

Here's a short history of Japanese giant salamanders in captivity in The Netherlands:

The Japanese giant salamander was discovered by Philipp Franz von Siebold (1796-1866. He also brought the first living specimen to Europe. Around 1830 he left Japan with two living animals. However, near the Canary Islands the largest animal ate the smallest. For the first 10 years the remaining animal lived in the Natural History museum in Leiden, The Netherlands after which it was moved to the zoo in Amsterdam where it died at an age between 51 and 55 years on June 3 1881. It is thought that this animal is portrayed in the “Fauna Japonica”. At the beginning of the 20th century the Amsterdam zoo had a pair of Japanese giant salamanders that even reproduced in 1903. This was then like now such a remarkable event that even the Japanese ambassador came to see them. One of the young lived until 1955 in the zoo.

On this page there is a small photo from 1903 of a parent with the eggs:

http://www.artis.nl/main.php?pagina=paginas/a/tijdschrift_artis/tijdschrift.php?tijdschrift_id=11

Thanks for the article. They are amazing animals... Discovery channel (I believe) recently did a special on giant amphibians and there was a segment featuring the Hiroshima Park... the staff was busy performing regular tests on their largest sali - he is huge! Not to mention aggressive - he kept thrashing around and trying to bite the staff. Looks like that mouth could do some damage too.

Very fascinating to watch... I hope the breeding programs will be successful. These giants are amazing links with a time long before we ever existed and there is so much we could learn from them...

*edited to correct spelling error.

(Message edited by Farvoyager on December 10, 2006)

Hey everyone, guess I should speak up a bit on this one, since I am the keeper "quoted" in the article. First thing, the stream at Aza is actually a man made channel from the main stream. Some of the breeding areas for the salamanders are in this channel. I had to simplify it in the interview and the reported dumbed it down a bit more. We have a VERY in-depth paper on the breeding project at Aza and tried to recreate some of their methods.

A little facts about the salamanders we have. There are 2.3 (2 males, 3 females)in the collection. As of now, there are 2.2 in the exhibit. I will probably put the third female in there in the next few days. I need to get some detailed pictures of her for visual ID purposes (they are all PIT tagged) They range in size from 85 cm to 100 cm. The heaviest weighs about 7kg.

That is very interesting about the salamander in the Netherlands.

If anybody has any questions, feel free to let me know.

(Message edited by SalS on December 15, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back