Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's in your fridge????

P

paris

ok, i am curious to know if anyone else is doing this. here is a pic of my fridgerator.
13321.jpg

i dont really keep much food in it, and the freezer currently has about 7 dead lizards in it, so even though this is my personal home frige it doesnt get much use for 'normal' stuff. in the set up you can see 2 containers of live blackworms(the blue ones) and the container that says cream puffs actually has aquatic maggots in it (woe be to the uninitiated person who opens that expecting a treat!)

what i keep in here are my ensatinas-i had found that at my shop when it got to 70, and then when the a/c went out twice last summer i lost about 5. my only solution to this was to put them in a more reliable and easily monitored set up. i rigged up a fluro light that remains on all the time (i know i should put it on a timer) and the set ups have live plants growing in them to help provide oxygen and to keep a more stable moisture gradient (by evapotranspiration).

i have kept newts before in my fridge to try to hibernate them, but never permanant setups. (btw, i do keep all food away from them for THEIR safety not my foods- i had a container of 7 granulosas a few years back that had air holes on top -they got soda spilled on them and i didnt notice until i was wondering what the bad smell was) all sals are kept on the top shelfs (yep, top shelf stock!)

does any one else keep anything non feeder in their fridges? i am thinking in summer to keep my larvae from my warm newts in there since it will slow down their metamorphosis and allow for bigger morphs.

B

brian

I've always wondered this, but do people have a problem getting oxygen in the fridge? Sorry to hijack your thread a little.

P

paris

people yeah, that is why old fridges in dumps or just sitting outside on the property are supposed to have their doors off(kids have died by climbing in them an shutting the door). being mammals we are pretty inefficent organisms. sals-especially fossoral ones-do fine in low oxygen(compared to a mammal of same size) this is why CO2 is a useless method of euthanasia for caudates.

E

edward

Hi Paris,
At home I have a small section for blackworms and brine shrimp and a small freezer for frozen foods and rodents.
To continue the aside, the large difference in metabolic rates is what makes the difference and prevents the lack of O2 being a problem.

Ed

B

brian

Oh, OK. So it doesn't need any special modification? Maybe I should get one of my own.
happy.gif

A

alan

While I defer to the experience of those who use fridges for caudates rather than beer, personally, I would be happier to cut out a SMALL section of the rubber doorseal (e.g. about an inch) top and bottom to allow a trickle of airflow without significantly affecting the temperature. Keep the sections you cut out and they can always be glued back in if you ever wanted to back to using the fridge to chill, err, beer, for example (or if your wife finds out!).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1