Gills?

S

sparda

I have come to the conclusion that I don't know why mudpuppys have gills, and all I need is the reason why they stay with their gills all of their life. Also, I may be getting a corn snake. =](Snake being my choice of creature to play with.)

Every animal needs a way to get oxygen. Most salamanders (including mudpuppies) have gills when they hatch from the egg. At metamorphosis, most species lose the gills and develop lungs. But some fully-aquatic species, such as mudpuppies, mature without losing their gills. They may also have rudimentary lungs, but they continue to use their gills all their life. Having gills all their life is a big advantage, because they never have to come to the surface to breathe (which would use energy, and expose them to predators). So, having gills in adulthood is an adaptation to their deep-water fully aquatic lifestyle. Does this help?

Hello Jennifer & Sparda
happy.gif

I have seen the Greater Siren come up for air in canals hear in South Florida. But they have gills too. So I believe that if the water is low on oxygen they can use their simple lungs to get the extra oxygen that they need.
The Greater Siren down hear in South Florida can be found in muddy dirty canals where I am sure the oxygen level are very low!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back