Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bite.... You taste like my brother... okay, I am not going to eat you.

I

ian

I have been reading a book called, 'Becoming a Tiger - How Baby Animals learn to live in the wild" (Susan McCarthy, 2004)

While it contain so much of interesting short stories of animals/ baby animals. I have only come across to one case with Amphibians so far after 60 pages of reading.

Here is what is said about how animals recognize it own kind, "Many animals need to recognize their siblings. Tadpoles of the spadefoot toad sometimes turn carnivorous and eat other tadpoles. The bloodthirsty tadpole first nips the other tadpole, and if it tastes unrelated proceeds to eat it. If it is a sister or brother the tadpole eats no further. (Unless it is really really hungry.)"

Do you think Caudates do this too?

W

william

i believe Ambystoma opacum use this strategy, but i may be wrong

K

kyle

huh....I've never heard of such a behavior, but I won't say its impossible.

It would be very interesting theory to prove though, and see how widely this is accepted by larval amphibians.

E

edward

Spadefoot toads are also more likely to cannibalize nonsibling tadpoles but I suspect that identification can be made before the first bite is taken.

Ed

mike

Reaction score
David Pfennig at UNC Chapel Hill (http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/pfennig/) has done most of the work on this subject (on both Spea and Ambystoma tigrinum). It's a very exciting subject. With the Spea, the tads do appear to need to bite or 'mouth' at the other tadpoles, and then decide whether or not to eat them. Additionally, the degree of kin discrimintation declines as the carnivores get more hungry. In the tiger salamanders, experimental work has shown that olfaction seems to be important in determining which larvae are kin to the cannibal, and which are not.

There are also big changes in the morphology of the larvae when they become the 'cannibal morph'.
Similar effects of kinship on cannibalism and cannibal morphs have been described in Hynobius retardatus.

Mike

H

heather

My Axolotl Larvae ate eachother, so i dont think its true for them...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1