Any one got this Book?

B

benjamin

I was just wondering if anybody else on the forum has this book "Amphibians in Captivity" By Marc Staniszewski. Some of the informations a little out dated and does not coincide with some of the experiences of users on this forum. But it has great basic information on how to house, feed and breed members from about %85 of all caudate genuses, pretty much every thing you'ld encounter in captivity.

Ive seen the cover before and I skimmed through it...As I recall Its very little blips about all the caudates...And its not 85 of all caudates...Its more so like...80 of salimandridae...I might be wrong...But most of these books do have some good info on pretty common newt species...It may be worth it...I seen it at PetExpo If I recall about a year ago...

I have this book, and although as you say, some of the information is a bit outdated, the housing info, and excellent photos throughout the book alone, makes this book a great addition to your bookshelf.

It cost me an insane £30.00! When I said 85% I meant that it included at least one representative from <u>roughly</u> 85% of caudate <u>genuses</u>.

I have this book, from a trade several years ago. The set up drawings were very impressive back then, but I rarely use it now. I have heard there was some misinformation and questions concerning authenticity of some of the pictures and accounts, but never researched it or tested it personally, so I do not know if it was just gossip.
There are some other text that I relay on more so: "Salamanders of North America" by Petranka and the text on European salamanders by Griffin. But my most enjoyed readings besides this site is John's new Magazine
proud.gif
On a serious note, I learn a lot more from other keeper's personal experiences.

I happen to know that some of the picture/identification errors were caused by the publisher rather than the author. Having been the victim of the same problems when I published with TFH, I can verify that.

This probably isn't the place to ask, but what's the stink about this guy? I've heard grumblings about him before.

RUSS

TFH is notorious for that sort of problem. All of the pictures are kept in filing cabinets in labled envelopes. The problem is that there is often no verification of the pictures to make sure that the photo is what the envelope is labeled. This is what causes the misidentifications on publication.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back