Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A kind of predation

J

juraj

Hard to say which one attacked first:
36123.jpg

36124.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
I've never seen anything like it before, with the exception of cannibalistic larvae
uhoh.gif

Is the loser being bitten or swallowed there?
Is it dead or alive?
Are they crested newts or alpines?

J

juraj

The loser is being sucked out there.
It`s dead alpine female attacked by very vital and happy leech. She was almost completely sucked out. Or alpine female wanted to have a great dinner and then...

K

kim

Hummm... something doesnt look right on that picture.. the newt looks like its dead and is being eaten by the slug.. Am I right?

TJ

Reaction score
That's truly one of the most amazing (and disturbing!) things I've ever seen in the newt and sal world.

At first I thought it was a newt swallowing another newt...

K

kim

Humm... theres a dealay on me seeing posts.. But anyway.. poor looser! Would have been interesting to see tho... not that i would want to see a newt killed or anything
cry.gif

B

benjamin

Was that your pet that you put with the leech?!?! To me that seems like a pretty sick thing to do to your pet. Or was this in the wild?

J

jeff

Based on the background, I'd say he stumbled upon this in the wild.

J

juraj

I found it in the wild don`t worry guys
wink.gif
. I was pretty surprised because I`ve never seen this before and thought that would be interesting to share it.

I

ingo

A really interesting observation...
Does anybody know, if Newts can handle smaller leeches as a prey?

R

ralf

Hello Juraj,
I think you cleared this up for everybody now. Quite a rare incident to stumble upon. Thanks for sharing, although this is a gruesome sight. However, might also help to prevent disaster from anybody trying to feed leeches to her/his pet newts.

You seem to spend an awful lot of time out in the Danube floodplain. You must have webbed feet by now.
biggrin.gif

(Message edited by ralf on May 17, 2005)

J

juraj

I still havn`t but long walks on fresh air is a good prevention from any kind of mind sickness.
biggrin.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Love your pics, Jorge.

This one, while morbid, shows really quite an amazing scene and you should really have it used, say in a book about amphibians.

P

paris

juraj,
just for the record, do you know what sort of leech that is?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1