Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wierd Behaviour

M

mamakstall

Hi there,

I've just changed my water in my tank and added some salt and water conditioner. For some reason my 2 axolotl acted wierd after i put them in. They just turn their head vigourously from left to right, float up the surface and breath air continuesly. Is there someone out there who might have experienced the same thing before and might know that is going on with my axolotls?? Love to hear that!!!

Thank You

K

k

I don't keep axolotl, but it might be helpful for those who do to know what kind of salt and water conditioner you used.

J

jesse

i think the salt may have bothered them. Ive never used salt with any of my animals.

E

edward

What kind of water conditioner did you use?
I usually do not recommend using the ones that contain aloe (unless there is an abrasion) as this can coat the gills and skin of the animals decreasing the animal's ability to respire.

How large was the water change? How soon after the change did you see this change in behavior?

Ed

M

mamakstall

Hi there

I'm using Aqua Plus by NUTRAFIN and aquarium salt by AquaMaster. The Aqua Plus is tap water conditioner which contain herbal extracts for stress reduce and healing ( thats all they wrote ). I've basically changed almost 3/4 of the tank water cos the water is floating with particles and starts to smell as well. Perhaps i might have changed the water too much. But anyway, Thanks guys!!!

Cheers!!!

E

edward

The water conditioners that contain added items like aloe and herbal extracts will also increase the bio load on the tank and can cause bacterial blooms. The commonly used herbal extracts are aloe.

Ed

J

jennifer

If the tank has floating particles and stinks, you have a big problem. I would tend to suspect that leftover food (or something) is fouling the tank big-time. Keep up with the water changes, and take out every crumb of leftover food after feedings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1