What did I find?

M

mindy

Unfortunately, I was on vacation so I couldn't buy the pair. But I found the most interesting couple of salamanders I have ever seen! The pet shop guy wasn't very knowledgable (he was trying to sell me a "fire belly newt" that was really a Pachytriton L. for 50 dollars) But he also had what seemed to be the largest specimin of Tiger salamanders that I have ever seen! Well, I only think that they were tigers, I'd love to know what they were for sure. They were the color of tigers but the size of rats! They had to be about a foot and a half long with heads the size of the palm of my hand. They were like prehistoric monsters, was this some sort of overlarged subspecies? I must try to obtain a pair.

Perhaps it was a Dicamptodon species. These guys are known for having massive heads.

I looked at every picture of a Dicamptodon that I could find and I didn't see a match. The sally I saw had a very large round head with very tiny eyes. I mean, unusually small beady eyes, I hope this helps...

They were nestled pretty comfortably on land...I knew I should have bought them when I had a chance.

In a Pet Store in Somerset, Massachusetts. Unfortunately, the guy there wasn't very knowledgable. The conversation started out like this...
"Do you have any newts or salamanders?"
"I don't have any newts, but I do have the water-type of salamander"...then preceded to try to sell me a pachytriton L. for 50 bucks, lol. Either way, I doubt they were locally collected. Though with my luck it would be an undisovered species, lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back