Slamander found in bag of topsoil

E

edward

Hi All,
Yesterday one of my coworkers brought a bag of topsoil into the building and when it was opened there was a green salamander (Aneides aeneus) in it. Where we're located in S. E. PA there are no green salamanders native locally and hte bag was from a company in Delaware where there are no populations of green salamanders. Pretty cool though.
Ed

WOW. That is very cool. That's a real mystery. I have a treefrog that came in with a shipment of eggplant from Mexico, but looks to be a Hyla squirella or femoralis.

Do you think the soil was actually collected in Delaware or just bagged/processed there?

Yes it was alive.
It is possible that the dirt is packaged elsewhere but just has the comapany's Delaware address on the bag.
Still a weird occurance.
Ed

SO COOL...I once got TWO Pacific tree frogs from houseplants I bought at a Kmart... Best/only good thing about that place...
talker.gif
}

I wish that I was the lucky aneides aeneus finder,they are really a cool species.You should contact the soil company and see where they get their soil.
-Travis

I once found 2 geckos at work. I work in retail at a Marshall's department store. One was sitting on a night gown and scared a customer, and one was in my boss's office. Never did ID them. They died about 2 months after I got them, refused to eat ANYTHING, no crickets, meal worms, nothing. Cool find though!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back