Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Zoo Internship

K

kyle

Well, I know I told some of you I'd be starting work at the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo this year, and I started today! Just turned 18, which is the magic number making me able to work with the zoo's animals.

Officially, I'm the spring Intern for the desert dome reptile areas, and my first day was pretty awesome, just shadowed the current keepers and got an idea of what I'll be doing. The position is unpaid for now, but hopefully I'll be on the summer time pay role. I'll try and keep you guys updated on whats happening if you're interested
happy.gif

J

john

that is just great. That is what I want to do but I dont know how to go about doin it. How did you get the internship. Did you have to go and talk to people at the zoo.

K

kyle

Yea man, I've been involved in the herpetological society for 3 or 4 years now, since I was a freshman in high school, and I got to know the people involved in that pretty well over the last couple of years. Some of the people in the herp club also work at the zoo, and I did a project this year of high school on Giant Salamanders. That project help make a relationship even stronger with the curator of reptiles and amphibians and he encouraged me to apply for the internship as well as the summertime job.

So yeah, the best thing you can do is see what is available near you first of all, and figure if you will be able to do it or not. If there isn't something visibly available, head to where you want to work/intern, and voice what your intentions are, so people realize there is an interest. I'm almost positive you can get something arranged, I really have never known a person who works at a zoo and is impersonable. I've been to a lot of zoos even though I'm young, and everyone I meet has been extremely nice, helpful, and full of knowledge they want to share with others. I hope you can get involved some how!

J

john

Be careful - I did the same thing 30 years ago, and it turned into a career.
wink.gif

Best of luck,
John

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1