Canada customs and tiger salamanders

K

kara

So, everything is set, I will be receiving the two juvie tigers in a week or two...
I have called cites, and the food, plant and animal line, and there are no restrictions on bringing tigers in to the country...however the people I keep talking to at CCRA (canada customs) say they arent sure what the qualifications are....any body know more? Has anyone brought salamanders from the states to canada before? I WOULD HATE to have them confiscated at the border, they will probably die if they are confiscated! I dont want to spend a lot of money, just to go to waste...I would really appreciate soe fedback!
Thanks!
Kara B

Good luck with this. Are the juvies land stage yet or still in water? Where did you find them?

they are land stage. I found them through a contact on this site they are coming from Texas, being shipped to my mother in laws house in Michighan.

Thanks. I live in Texas. May I ask how to contact this person? I have had good results with tigers in the past.

Kara, be sure the species you're trying to import is not protected in Ontario. I think tigers are. Although as long as you have the proper paperwork, you shouldn't have a problem. I've done it before.

CITES has said they are not protected and that there are no restrictions or regulations....The food and plant bureau also had no stipulations against tiger salamanders.
I cant help but worry something disastrous will happen though.
Hunter, let me have your email and I will forward it to my contact.

Kara,

Even though they are not protected by CITES you have to make sure that they are not locally protected by the state or province into which you are importing them. If they are protected by the state, country or province into which you are importing them then you still run the risk of a seizure at customs. There are other permit levels you may need to resolve outside of those covered by CITES.

Ed

Cites did a local check for me....
but I know they are endangered, I just saw them on a stamp featuring the endangered animals...custos has given me the clear as well...but I havnt any forms, and I am still worried.

I am surprised that CITES could do a "local" check for you as they're database should only deal with the species that are regulated by the relevant treaty covering trade between the two countries. As I understand it, the CITES data base cannot tell me in which states in the USA it would be legal to possess tiger salamanders (which is the equivalent to what you are telling me) if I wanted to import some from Europe. Just whether they are covered by CITES and whether I would need permits.
You need to contact both the local officials in charge of protected endangered species and the equivalent of (depending on the state) the State Game department/Fish Commission, etc as well as the Federal version(s).

Remember there are two sides to the custom that have to be resolved. There is the USA side (which will also include USF&W) and the Canadian side as the USF&W department will be enforce all relevant Canadian Laws.

Ed

as far as i know, the federal government has no restrictions on bringing reptiles (except for turtles/tortoises) or amphibians into canada from any country in the world as long as they are not cites listed.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/turtlese.shtml

i have recently brought in lizards and salamander eggs from the u.s. (unfortunately for the salamander eggs, the shipping ended up taking 3 wks instead of 3-5 days, so the eggs died in transit - not sure if it was the postal service's fault, or if canada customs held up the package temporarily - i find canada customs is often unaware of the rules/regulations and they may hold things up until they figure it out >_<). lizards were couriered and they came in fine in one day.

ontario has a list of "species at risk" which are protected from collection and possession in ontario. ontario tiger salamanders are on this list (see schedule 1). if u'r bringing in tigers from texas, i think they would be ok as i've seen many tigers available for sale up here (just we can't collect and keep tigers that are caught locally here... i think).

http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/the_act/HTML/Content_e.cfm

for the rules, click on "measures to protect listed wildlife species" then click on "general prohibitions"

good luck,
brian

I just got the okay from customs, and the canadian food and plant exportation department has no restrictions either.
thanks guys.

Good luck with them, Trincan. And thanks for introducing me to the supplier.

Hi there. Me and a friend brought brought some tigers across to canada a couple of years ago, and it was no problem. They wanted to see the animals and an invoice. For the duty you will have to pay. No other paper work. I live in B.C. though. I did some research and found the only restrictions were on giant salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back