Carolina Biological Supply

K

keegan

Has anybody delt with these folks?

They seem to be a potential source of N viridescens.

I am a bit suspicious though. If they harvest great numbers from the wild, that doesn't seem quite right. Also some things I noticed in thier on-line cataloge are a bit concerning: packages for teachers inlcuding a tiny, closed "beta-bell" and a small "amphibian stater kit" that comes with 2 newts or two frogs (species not even mentioned!) - none of this seems very consistant with a company that is supposed to be providing our educators with the tools to provide a broad and ecologically minded base for students. I didn't spend that much time on thier site though, so I am maybe unfair.

Anyway, that was a bit tangential - just wondered if anyone had delt with them, or had any thoughts. Thanks

Keegan

I haven't dealt with them, but I've heard that their animals are often very skinny and unhealthy. I've also heard horror stories of how they keep animals there.

~Aaron

I've dealt with them. The sallies (which could be anything in their range) came to me DEAD! They sent it by slow mail and then arrived in DRY cup with DRY moss or something. The spotted newts could arrive as Fire bellys also, as I heard from someone else. I had them RESHIP the "dOA" and it came overnight and all were "barely" alive in, once again, DRY cup. Out of three sallies ordered, one died the next day and the other two died a few weeks later. (the two did eat for me and liked to hide though) I want to scream at them WATER/MOISTURE!!!!!!!!something!

you have to be a educator or something to order from them. I'm not quick to judge (when im unsure) but i think they JUST take everything from the wild.(even the eggs/larvae/w /adults) Maybe in a few years there won't be anything left to take in their range.

REMEMBER: no guarantees on what you get (species or life LOL)

KEEGAN: you need some Notophthalmus viridescens? I might have a few in the spring. Maybe CB if im lucky! (including efts although I know of one lady that's interested "no names")

steve

I was going to order form them but heard similar horror stories about a teacher who orderd some Necturus maculosus. They came with some sort of fungus on their skin and they all died (three of them) withing two days. They do collect theirstuff from the wild and perosnally I wouldn't give them my business for that reason alone.

Oh yeah, they even mis identify some of their pictures as totally different species, refering to anoles as chameleons and such.

they dont breed captive, and are a bad company to do any business with any form of live animals. the only animal i've ever received from them (i worked as a TA in the highschool and ordered all the animals and such for the science department) was a madagascar hissing cockroach... even the daphnia/paramecia/microscopic cultures didnt make it. how do you kill of rotifers without freezing them or starving them?

I have a question for you all. I don't know much about salemanders, but I would like to know how they breathe. Do they breathe through their nose or through their skin?

Salamanders breathe in a variety of ways. These include gills, lungs, skin, and pharyngeal walls. It really depends on the species, as many species are even lungless and depend entirely on the skin for respiration.

Back to Carolina Biological Supply post, I have delt with them. I live 20 minutes from them. I'm afraid all is true. I never get anything shipped, I pick it up. I got frustrated by their lack of knowledge of caudates. They do substitute for their newt species. I believe their N. v. dorsalis source dried up (thank God). Don't get me wrong, they are a good Company overall. It must be difficult to provide a vast array of material/species and have the right people in place. Just because they are in the "Academia" business, doesn't mean they give out responsible information on husbandry. I find for the most part, profs/instructors are not all up to snuff about caudate husbandry unless it is one of their personal specialties and hobbies. Some of the printed material and information on keeping caudates is worse than the Pet Store Chains.
I have not dealt with them for several years. Your best bet is to stick with breeders/keepers in this circle. You know what your getting and for the most part laws will be obeyed and wild caught species' environment/populations are respected.
I don't offer any wild caught species that I'm concerned with their habbit or populations. N. v. dorsalis' habbit is dwindling due to construction, eventhough they are not currently on any protected species list. I'm glad to see more folks breeding them. I'm waiting for the time it will be illegal to collect them. My two cents for what its worth.

I ordered what I thought would be Eastern newts (based on the catalog photo) from Carolina Biological and got Chinese firebellies. They do state in the catalog that the species may vary. I subsequently called them and they were very good about identifying the species they were currently shipping. You do have to call them, though. They said they could get me California redbelly newts, but not Easterns, at that time.

The firebellies I got from them were in good shape. They were shipped in a bag of clean water. I ordered three and they sent four.

You don't have to be an educator to order from them (unless you want something nasty, like a scorpion).

I agree, some of the "kits" they sell are marginal at best in providing for the animals' needs. And the instructions they sent with the newts turned out to be a book about all the herps they sell, with just one page about newts. It had a lot of stuff about how to induce egglaying in amphibians by injecting them with hormones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back