Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts/salamanders

C

carl

is there any newt/salamander either aquatic or land that is easy to look after and eats just worms pellets and liver but not an axolotl because i already have one and before you all say no i am keeping them in seperate tanks

J

jenny

pleurodeles need a big tank carl. unless you can provide that

in wigan your only choice really is a fire belly newt or a fire salamander. pemb pets have one fire belly newt and exotica can get them in.

or reptile room which is near blackpool has marbled newts, paddle tailed and spotted ones but they are getting more in on 18th jan.

did you get a lecy axolotl from exotica?

C

carl

i didnt get one from exotica but i thought they were nice i just dont want to put one with my wildtype because he is massize how big a tank would you need because i am using my 3 foot tank and i only have a tank about 1 and a half foot long thanx for the replys i will have a look around

J

jim

I'm new to this site and am looking for information and sites concerning sirens. My 4th grade class and I (I'm supposed to be the teacher but some days I wonder) have two. One 18.5 in. monster in a 20 gal. tank and another smaller and thinner (apprx. 16-17 in) in a 10 gal. Both are almost 5 years old and seem to be in good health. Any of you siren fans have any help to offer?

W

william

Jenny, do you have the website of reptile room? if not do you know if they still have marbled newts and their price?

J

jenny

they dont have a website i dont think.

they are on yell.com though.

cant remember how much they were but the most expensive newt they had was 12.99 but dont know if it was the marbled or spotted etc.

otherwise faunology.com sell marbled newts at about £12 but also its 19£ delivery.

J

jim

Dot, thanks for the info and welcome. Ed's care sheet is very good. My class and I hope to breed them. If successful, we'll keep folks posted.

W

william

i've just phoned the reptile room up and they say they've run out of pygmy nets but they still have fire salamanders, "chinese spotted newts" what ever they are and paddletails. they also say that they've got an ambystoma opacum.

which would be easier to keep ambystoma opacum or marms?

they also said that they are getting more spieces in soon, tirturus alpestris were definitely on the list!

(Message edited by will_j on January 15, 2005)

J

jenny

wow tirturus alpestris are pretty

what is a marm.

if you look on for sale bit then there are paddletail newts for sale they are £6 each.

they are completely terrestrial though - im not sure if i want an aquatic one or not. but then it would be nice to not have to do more water changes.

but im also not sure if i want a salamander...

choices choices!!

W

william

i've got a paddletail already, marms are triturus marmoratus, sorry
smile6.gif

J

jarid

Yeah, paddletails are completely aquatic. Maybe you confused terrestrial with territorial somewhere along the line?

J

jenny

sorry, i meant there are banded newts for sale (and that theyre terrestrial)

(Message edited by jennyg on January 16, 2005)

J

jesper

Please don't give advise when you don't know(at least add that you are not sure) and please use the scientifical names instead of the english/american trivial names.
biggrin.gif

Sorry about that.

J

jenny

i apologise if i made a mistake.(which you would know when you go into for sale section) we cant all be as perfect as you.

and i dont complain that you use the latin names (when i dont know what they are. if i want to use the common name i will. is there anywhere in this forum saying do not use common names?)

a lot of you are all up youselves and think you know everything about everything and never make mistakes with anything!

J

jarid

It's not a matter of using latin names to look more intelligent. It's that vernacular names are a pain most of the time. If you look online at some suppliers or in pet stores you will see that many of them will have completely different common names for the same animals, and a good deal of the time, those names are the "proper" common name of a completely different animal. So using latin names makes everything a little easier to understand and information/conversations can progress more smoothly without the added confusion. In the future, if there is a latin name you do not know, just click on the species link on CC. That is how I learned all the latin names in the beginning.
happy.gif

A

alan

IMHO, all of the comments made to Jenny in this thread are valid, but Michael has a point - it's the way in which they were made, not the content.

C'mon guys, lighten up and stop jumping down other people's throats. It's not just this thread. There's not such a nice atmosphere around these forums as there was. Be nice. Help people. Don't turn the caudata.org forums into kingsnake!

J

jesper

!
1.I think it is arrogant to use english/american trivial names, this is supposed to be an international forum so please be humble enough to learn the latin names. I have to speak a non-native language(english) to participate in this forum. The first thing I did when I decided to take part in an international forum was to learn the latin names, no one is interested in learning trivial names in a non-native language when there's rational names in latin accepted throughout the world. When an english/american participant comes here and take it for granted to use trivial names I feel that it is as disrespectful as you do when I start writing in Swedish in this forum.

2. There's a line when it comes to how much bad advise you can give without someone pointing that out. Especially when a person is constantly having a bad attitude about being wrong. Maybe you should tone down the advice part Jenny?

Alan - Actually I think it is the bad advice if anything that would turn us into Kingsnake-type site.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1