Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

For members that own reptiles/amphibians and have children under a year of age.

J

jose

Hi I'm new to the forum, I introduced myself but I don't know what happened to the post. My question is are any of you concerned with salmonella, I've owned reptiles/amphibians for years but now I have a 4 month old daughter and I'm nervous of starting a new collection again. I would like to get everyone's inputs on what you think and how you prevent salmonella. Thanks

C

cameron

Wash your hands thouroly after holding animals and that should do the trick
lol.gif

J

jose

yea that's what I always have done but all these articles say if you have children under a year old not to have any reptiles/amphibians in the household. thanks

C

cameron

as long as the animals are kept out of reach and probably sight of the children so that they are completely blocked of from any trace of animal bacteria.

They should not be allowed in the room that way they cannot be contaminated by germs
wink.gif

E

edward

That is the current recommendations by the AMA and the CDC. This is due to the risk of secondary transmission by going from the enclosure to the child or something the child will access or cleaning items where food prep, tooth washing etc occurs.

Ed

J

jose

thanks for all the info. I think I'm gonna pass on starting up again. I'll wait til my daughter is older, I don't want any germs floating around and having her get sick god forbid. Thanks again.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That's a personal decision. My kids are all adults but I've had amphibians since they were infants. With proper precautions risk can be minimized.

A

alberto

I had both newts and turtles as pets when my kids where very small and never had any problems.
Best wishes!

J

jose

yea I think I'll wait til she is 6 months that way her immune system is alittle stronger. I appreciate all advice. I'll keep saving money so I can buy triple the amount of stuff lol. Thanks

J

joseph

A good precaution might be to reserve one sink(a laundry room one is great) for the animals. I was fortunate to have one and this is where most all the fish/amphibian water goes. Usually sometime during the week bleach will go down it too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1