Is the spotted salamander very timid

R

reid

Hi,
I just got a spotted salamander and it always hides in its cave. do your's do that? How do they usually behave? Can they learn to be hand fed?

Spotted salamanders are burrowers who spent a vast majority of their time underground or hiding. They're not the best salamander to have if you want to actually SEE them.

All spotted salamanders are collected from the wild, usually during breeding season.

What is the best salamanders if you want to always see them. Tigers?

Axolotls, Eastern newts (Notopthalmus viridescens), something aquatic. Tiger sals are nearly the same as spotteds. They're just slightly more outgoing. Tiger sals are also all wild-collected during breeding season. When these sals congregate at their breeding ponds, some guy comes out with a bucket and just starts throwing them in, taking them to wherever to sell them. This can have a huge impact on wild populations.

I would get something aquatic if you're looking for something more visible. Stay away from burrowing sals (Any non-neotenic Ambystomatid).

Triturus are good too, but they are costly enough here in the continental US, I don't know how much they'd cost in Hawaii.

I already have two axolotls. Can spotted salamanders learn to be hand fed.

Based on my experience with both tiger salamanders, the picky and piggy one, with careful attention I'll bet you could teach your spotted salamander to handfeed.

Hello Guys
Another two that are very active are the Spanish ribbed newts and the Chinese fire belly newts!
Best wishes to all!

Hi, yes my spotted salamander hides in its cave all the time too and i've tried to hand feed it but it has only ate out of my hands a couple of times

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back