Who is working with Tylolotriton in the states?

S

sheridan

im looking for some CB Tylolotriton species. im facinated by these guys and would rather not purchase WC individuals if i can help it.

Good for you! We need more people like this. Unfortunately, I don't think tylo's are too popular yet. Keep an eye out around here, I think some may be popping up this spring.

thanks, im fairly new with amphibs but i learned with snakes years ago the CB animals are a much wiser investment of time and resources. unfortunatly my search for CB individuals of this genus is coming up short. ive been told by one person that they may have a species in early winter but thats a very poor time to be shipping anything alive to Montana, its just to darn cold. heck i rarly ship plants that time of year let alone animals.

Nah, newts dig the cold. I'd be much more comfortable shipping in early winter than in early summer.

If you're just starting out though, I suggest getting one of the more hardy species as a 'trial run' kind of deal. Any of the ambystomids, including axolotls, are usually quite forgiving in terms of care. And they're just all around awesome.

actually i figure as long as im getting CB im good. axolotls arent really my thing a friend had them and while they were cool to watch, i would rather not mess with them. while i have had minimal experiance with amphibs ive got years of snakes and lizards under my belt as well as years with exotic tender plants, some of which need quite similar conditions to these newts. i dont see where starting with captive bred in this genus will be terribly difficult.

there are other North American sallys and newts i wouldnt mind but unfortunatly they dont live here and CB are about as uncommon as Tylolotriton species. ive got a couple friends in other states on the look out for them in the wild but who knows when or if ill get a hold of them. so for now i guess ill stick with my dart frogs.

You should be aware that the laws in every state differ in taking animals from the wild. Also be aware that if the animals are acquired illegally, and shipped across state lines, you're violating federal laws.

Just keep an eye open for CB on here. They do pop up once in a while. Be patient.

yep im fully aware of that, actually the couple species im interested in working with arent rare or endangered. im fully aware of federal and state laws. the state laws recently changed here in Montana, fish and wildlife really arent to happy with me over an animal i have but its not illegal, they just dont like the fact its in the state as it is a potential agricultural pest. while i would like to get my hands on what i want ASAP ofcource, i realize some of this is a waiting game. one of my other hobbies is raising epiphytic bladderworts(Utricularia) ive spent years tracking down a particular species, im fully aware of the patients required sometimes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back