Amphibian Inbreeding

A

alex

Does anyone have an opinion on this topic? Inbreeding is a serious problem with mammals, but is it such a problem in reptiles and amphibs. With mammals, inbreeding can cause mental retardation or mutation because of a recessive allele grouping, but since retardation and other mammalian problems don't exist in amphibs, is it a problem. Obviously it could result in albinism, luecisticism (sp?), size change, etc. Do you think there is any serious detrimental effect, it might actually have a positive effect by adding new animals. Just wondering, Alex.

Alex it takes a long time for inbreeding problems to show up in amphibians and reptiles. To begin with they generally don't have large home ranges and in the case of pond breeding amphibians usually breed in the same pond year after year.If inbreeding was a real big problem parthenogenetic species wouldn't exist. (For those that don't know parthenogenetic animals are all female species that reproduce without male.)Some out crossing can be beneficial but if the animal is not from the same vicinity you may lose the traits that make that animal unique to that locality. Some animals only exist in captivity,axolotl come to mind,and the lack of fresh genetic stock hasn't seemed to have hurt them yet. Mark

To put it bluntly it depends. It depends if there is a lethel gene available that can become isolated within the population.

If you read through the link Kyle listed there is also a method in there that through line breeding (a form of inbreeding) that looks like it allows you to breed the gene out of the population...

Many amphibian and reptiles in captivity have come from limited breeding stock (some population less than 7 founders) and yes in some of them there have been issues via massive inbreeding (such as San Fran garters in Europe) however in others there has been little or no problems seen despite large amounts of inbreeding (Brazil nut poison dart frogs).

Ed

If you think about it, it must happen in the wild. Most mammals have the ability to recognize their young to some extent, but amphibians don't raise their young, so how would they. Like it was said above, sals always return to the same pond in which they were born, so that would certainly create a possibility for inbreeding. Like Ed said, some of the breeding populations are just to small for their not to be inbreeding. Alex.

There are several examples of inbreeding in wild amphibian populations associated with small, fragmented populations. Some of the clearest examples are work by Trevor Beebee on Bufo calamita and B. bufo populations. Small, isolated populations have been shown to have both reduced genetic diversity and reduced individual toad growth rates and survivorship. This highlights the importance of protecting not just single ponds and some adjacent upland habitat, but larger areas encompassing many smaller populations to maintain large overall populations.

Mike

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back