Who is newt, who is salamander?? hehehe

R

rafael

Hi caudata lovers!! I'm a brazilian guy newbie in caudata...

I have a little question: who is newt and who is salamander? Is diferent??

Sorry for the poor english!

Hi, and welcome! You should get somebody elses opinion, but most newt are mostly aquatic, and most salamanders are mostly terrestrial. That is the most basic answer, good luck!

The answer to this and many other questions is found in the FAQ at Caudata Culture:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

"What is the difference between a newt and a salamander?

Surprisingly, there is no really meaningful difference. The distinction is more historic than scientific. Newts are a subgroup of salamanders. All newts are salamanders, but not all salamanders are newts. The following are the things that distinguish newts from salamanders.

A salamander is called a "newt" if it belongs to one of the following genera: Cynops, Echinotriton, Euproctus, Neurergus, Notophthalmus, Pachytriton, Paramesotriton, Pleurodeles, Taricha, Triturus, or Tylototriton.
Newts generally spend more of their adult lives in the water than salamanders. However, there are exceptions (terrestrial newts and aquatic salamanders).
Newts generally have more distinctive differences between the sexes and a more complex aquatic courtship. Again, there are exceptions."

Thank'sssssssss!!

Very basic question... But...
My "newts" are 5 Triturus cristatus, 1 Pleurodeles waltl, 4 Cynops orientalis and several Ambystoma mexicanum (newt or salamander?? hehehe)

Look the Axolotls here: www.myreef.hpg.com.br/axolote.htm

Axolotls classify under "aquatic salamanders," as do sirens, hellbenders, giant salamanders, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back